Full set of game notes (pdf)
Big Sky Conference standings
The Week Ahead
• Sacramento State (13-14, 8-6) will play its final two regular season home matches this week against Weber State (18-7, 9-5) on Thursday at 7 p.m., and Idaho State (6-20, 3-11) on Saturday at 7 p.m.
• Saturday is Senior Night, and the Hornets' lone senior, Sarah Davis, will be honored for her contributions to the program prior to the match.
• Only four regular season matches remain (two on the road next week) before the Hornets host the Big Sky Tournament Nov. 28-30. The top eight teams in the 11-member league qualify for the three-day event which begins with four matches on Thanksgiving Day inside the Nest.
• Sacramento State is tied for fifth in the Big Sky with an 8-6 record, but sits just a game out of second place. Northern Colorado is first at 13-1, followed by Weber State (9-5) and Northern Arizona (9-5) in second, Idaho (9-6) in fourth, and both Sacramento State and Montana State (8-6) in fifth. The Hornets have defeated every team in the conference at least once this year except for Northern Colorado and Montana State.
• The Hornets are 6-4 at home this season, including 4-3 vs. Big Sky teams. Of Sacramento State's seven home games, four have gone to five sets. Speaking of five sets, the Hornets have gone to five sets eight times during league play, and are 4-4 in those outcomes.
• Last week, Sacramento State played in two matches that concluded via three-set sweep. That included a 3-0 win at Southern Utah on Saturday, and 3-0 loss at Northern Arizona on Thursday. Those results marked just the second and third times Sacramento State has played a three setter against a Big Sky opponent this season.
This Week's Multimedia Options
• Video will be offered for every match the remainder of the season as all conference matches are aired live and free via Pluto.TV. That includes this week's games, and both will be aired on Pluto.TV channel 533.
• Live stats are available for every match home and away.
• All multimedia options (video, live stats) can always be accessed to the right of each match on the volleyball schedule at www.hornetsports.com.
vs. This Week's Opponents
• Weber State will enter Thursday's match with an 18-7 overall record and 9-5 mark in the conference. The Wildcats had won seven straight until falling in four sets at Northern Colorado on Saturday. Prior to that loss, Weber State hadn't dropped a match since Oct. 12 when it lost to the Hornets in five sets in Ogden. The Wildcats are 4-2 on the road, including 3-2 against league opposition.
• Sacramento State is 39-11 in the all-time series with the Wildcats, including its five-set win over the Wildcats earlier this year (15-11 in the 5th). Overall, the Hornets have won eight of the last nine matches against Weber State dating back to 2015. Sacramento State is 21-3 against Weber State at home, including wins in the last four matchups inside the Nest.
• Idaho State, who plays Portland State on Thursday, brings a 6-20 overall record and 3-11 conference mark into the week. The Bengals have lost seven straight with their last win coming on the road at Montana in three sets on Oct. 17. Idaho State is 2-5 on the road this year, and each of those matchups have come against conference opposition.
• Sacramento State is 34-15 all-time against Idaho State, including a five-set win over the Bengals (15-11 in the 5th) on Oct. 10 in Pocatello. The Hornets are 18-5 when playing Idaho State at home, but the two teams have split the last 10 meetings inside the Nest.
• Sacramento State has already played in 11 five-set matches this season, one shy of the school record of 12, set in 2009. The 2017, 2010 and 1991 teams also played in 11 five setters. Sacramento State is 7-4 in five setters this season, and 4-4 against Big Sky foes. Eight of the Hornets' 14 conference matches have lasted five sets, including four of the team's seven Big Sky home matches.
• Senior outside hitter Sarah Davis, who will be honored on Saturday for her contributions to the program, continues to lead the Big Sky by a wide margin in kills per set (4.31). The team co-captain ranks among the top three players in the nation in four categories, including first in the country in attacks (1,482), and third in kills (478), attacks per set (13.35) and points (540). She has led or tied for the team lead in kills in 21 straight, and 25 of the 27 matches this season. In addition, she recently achieved the 1,000 career kills milestone and now has 1,053. Davis also leads the Big Sky with 4.72 kills per set in conference matches.
• Middle blocker Cianna Andrews has hit better than .330 in eight of the Hornets' 14 conference matches. She currently ranks fifth in the Big Sky with a .317 hitting percentage in conference play, and third with 1.16 blocks per set. Andrews recently set her single-match career high with a .591 hitting percentage vs. Idaho, and then re-set her career best with a .600 hit% vs. Eastern Washington. Overall, Andrews has recorded double-figure kills in 10 of 14 Big Sky matchups.
• Sophomore setter Ashtin Olin ranks among the Big Sky's top three players in a pair of categories in league play, including third with 10.43 assists per set, and tied for third with 0.38 aces per set. A second team all-Big Sky selection a year ago as a redshirt freshman, she has posted at least 40 assists in 10 of the Hornets' 14 Big Sky matches.
• Outside hitters Sarah Davis and Macey Hayden, and middle blocker Cianna Andrews are the only Hornets to start all 27 matches this season.
• Ruben Volta is just six wins shy of recording his 200th career victory as head coach.
• Outside hitter Macey Hayden had gone 20 consecutive matches with at least seven kills, but saw that streak come to an end vs. Eastern Washington. The owner of seven double-doubles this year, Hayden currently averages 2.22 kills and 2.83 digs per set. She has improved the digs per set in league play to 3.29, and has posted double digits in digs in 10 of the 14 conference matchups.
• In the Hornets' wins over Idaho State and Weber State earlier this year, rightside hitter Kayla Subbert came up big. The redshirt freshman had a season-best 12 kills and a .321 hitting percentage at Idaho State, and two days later posted 10 kills and a .286 hitting percentage at Weber State.
• While Cianna Andrews has started all 27 matches at one middle blocker spot, the tandem of Sarah Falk (18) and Tiyanane Kamba-Griffin (9) have shared starts at the other middle spot.
• Sacramento State has recorded double figures in team blocks in six of its last 12 matches, and has upped its average to 2.09 blocks per set in conference play.
November 9, 2019 VOLLEYBALL GETS BIG ROAD WIN, SWEEPS SOUTHERN UTAH
November 7, 2019 VOLLEYBALL DROPS ROAD MATCH AT NORTHERN ARIZONA
November 2, 2019 VOLLEYBALL FALLS AT HOME IN FIVE SETS TO EASTERN WASHINGTON
October 31, 2019 VOLLEYBALL HOSTS IDAHO TONIGHT, EASTERN WASHINGTON ON SATURDAY
October 26, 2019 VOLLEYBALL FALLS IN 5-SET NAIL BITER AT MONTANA STATE
October 24, 2019 VOLLEYBALL MOVES INTO 2ND PLACE AFTER BEATING MONTANA, 3-1
October 17, 2019 WINNING STREAK SNAPPED, VOLLEYBALL FALLS TO NORTHERN COLORADO, 3-1
October 14, 2019 ASHTIN OLIN NAMED BIG SKY OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
October 12, 2019 VOLLEYBALL WINS THIRD STRAIGHT, BEATS WEBER STATE ON THE ROAD, 3-2
October 10, 2019 VOLLEYBALL OVERCOMES DEFICIT, BEATS IDAHO STATE ON THE ROAD, 3-2
October 7, 2019 SARAH DAVIS NAMED BIG SKY OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
October 3, 2019 VOLLEYBALL FALLS IN FIVE SETS AT HOME TO SOUTHERN UTAH
September 28, 2019 VOLLEYBALL CONCLUDES LONG ROAD TRIP WITH 3-2 LOSS AT IDAHO
September 26, 2019 VOLLEYBALL OPENS BIG SKY PLAY WITH A 3-1 WIN AT EASTERN WASHINGTON
September 25, 2019 VOLLEYBALL OPENS BIG SKY PLAY ON THE ROAD AT EASTERN WASHINGTON AND IDAHO
September 23, 2019 TAYNTON NAMED BIG SKY VOLLEYBALL DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
September 21, 2019 VOLLEYBALL FALLS AT ARIZONA, 3-1, FINISHES TUCSON TOURNEY WITH A 2-1 RECORD
September 14, 2019 VOLLEYBALL DROPS 2ND ROUND UIC INVITE MATCHUP TO BRADLEY
September 14, 2019 VOLLEYBALL DROPS TOURNAMENT FINALE TO HOST UIC
September 13, 2019 VOLLEYBALL OPENS UIC INVITATIONAL WITH 3-1 LOSS TO MURRAY STATE
September 11, 2019 VOLLEYBALL TRAVELS TO CHICAGO FOR FRIDAY-SATURDAY TOURNAMENT
September 7, 2019 VOLLEYBALL COMPLETES BIG COMEBACK, BEATS ARMY IN FIVE SETS
September 5, 2019 VOLLEYBALL TO PLAY THREE TIMES OVER THREE DAYS IN HAWAII
September 5, 2019 VOLLEYBALL FALLS TO DENVER IN FIRST MATCH OF HAWAII TOURNAMENT
September 3, 2019 VOLLEYBALL WINS FIRST SET, BUT FALLS IN FOUR ON THE ROAD TO UC DAVIS
August 30, 2019 VOLLEYBALL OPENS SEASON WITH THREE-SET SWEEP OF CANISIUS
August 30, 2019 VOLLEYBALL BEATS CSU BAKERSFIELD, OPENS SEASON WITH A 2-0 RECORD
August 16, 2019 VOLLEYBALL SELECTED THIRD IN BIG SKY PRESEASON COACHES POLL
August 7, 2019 VOLLEYBALL SEASON IS ALMOST HERE! FIRST PRACTICE ON SATURDAY