Full set of game notes (8 pages) - pdf
Big Sky Conference standings
The Week Ahead
• Winners of three straight, Sacramento State will enter the third week of the Big Sky Conference portion of the season with an 8-10 overall record and 3-1 league mark.
• The Hornets won a pair of home matches last week, defeating both Southern Utah (3-1) and Northern Arizona (3-2). Redshirt freshman setter Ashtin Olin was named the Big Sky's Offensive Player of the Week after averaging 0.89 kills, 2.11 digs, 10.67 assists, 0.89 blocks and a .400 hitting%.
• Sacramento State will play a pair of road games this week, including a Thursday matchup against Idaho at 7 p.m., and Saturday against Eastern Washington at 6 p.m.
• Idaho (8-8, 2-2) was picked first in the Big Sky preseason coaches poll, and played its first four conference matches on the road. After a good non-conference start, Eastern Washington (8-8, 0-4) has lost all four of its Big Sky matches by 3-0 scores.
• Sacramento State, the defending Big Sky regular season champions after going 15-1 in league play a year ago, is now 18-2 in conference play dating back to last season.
• The Hornets are among five teams in the Big Sky with one conference loss or less, including Idaho State (4-0), Weber State (3-1), Northern Colorado (3-1) and Montana (3-1). The Hornets lost in five sets at Montana on Sept. 20 in a match Sacramento State led, 2-0 in sets, and 18-15 in the third.
• Last Thursday's victory against Southern Utah allowed the Hornets to win their 1,000th match in program history. The team now has an all-time record of 1,001-458.
• Dating back to 2016, Sacramento State has won nine of its last 11 regular season road matches vs Big Sky opposition. The Hornets have won 26 straight regular season home games vs. the league.
This Week's Multimedia Options
• Every match the rest of the season will be aired live and free via watchbigsky.com and Pluto TV.
• In addition, live stats will be offered for every match the rest of the year.
• Multimedia options (video, live stats) for all Sacramento State matches can be accessed to the right of each match on the volleyball schedule at www.hornetsports.com.
vs. This Week's Opponents
• The Hornets are 4-3 all-time against Idaho, including a three-set sweep of the Vandals in Moscow last season. Overall, Sacramento State has played Idaho just twice on the road as the Vandals joined the Big Sky in 2014.
• Idaho was the No. 3 seed at last year's Big Sky Tournament, and finished the year 18-11 and 12-4. The Vandals' loss to Sacramento State was one of just two home losses all year in league play.
• Sacramento State is 34-17 all-time against Eastern Washington in a series that has been intense, especially the early to mid 2000's. The Hornets and Eagles faced each other in the Big Sky Tournament championship match seven straight years from 2000-06 with the Hornets winning on six of those occasions.
• Sacramento State has won three straight in the series with its last loss coming in 2015. The Hornets are 11-12 when playing the Eagles in Cheney. Three of those wins for Sacramento State came in the 2002, 2003 and 2004 Big Sky championship match.
Plenty of Close Matches
• If you want to see a close volleyball match, then Sacramento State is the team to watch. The Hornets have already played in a conference-best 72 sets this year, and, of Sacramento State's eight wins, only one has come via three-set sweep. And that was a tight 25-23, 28-26, 27-25 win over UCSB.
• The Hornets have been swept four times this year, but on three of those occasions, Sacramento State was playing without a true setter because both setters on the roster were injured. Each of those three sweeps came at the Boise State Tournament.
• Sacramento State has played in 22 sets decided by two points, and are 9-13 in those frames.
• Overall, the Hornets have played 3-set matches five times (1-4), 4-set matches eight times (6-2) and 5-set matches on five occasions (1-4).
• The healthy amount of sets played have helped Sacramento State rank among the nation's top 20 teams in four different categories, including second in total blocks (187.5), sixth in aces (120), 10th in attacks (2,617) and 17th in digs (1,118).
• Senior outside hitter Mikaela Nocetti, who recently went over the 1,000 career kills mark (now has 1,038), ranks among the nation's top 20 players in attacks per set (12th, 12.26), points (15th, 305) and total kills (16th, 269). She has the second highest kills per set average in the Big Sky overall (3.84) and in conference games (4.17). She has eight double-doubles this season (kills and digs), and has five matches with at least 20 kills.
• Sarah Davis, who has played on the left side, right side and at setter this year, already has 60 kills in four conference matches playing on the left side. Davis is averaging 3.33 kills per set in conference play (9th in the Big Sky), and posted seven aces vs. Southern Utah, tied for the second highest total in school single-match history.
• Senior middle blocker Lana Brown has the nation's fifth most blocks (90), and ranks second in the league with 1.27 blocks per set. Brown has hit better than .470 in three straight matches, and her .400 hitting percentage in conference play is the fourth best mark in the Big Sky. Dating back to last season, she has racked up exactly 250 blocks.
• Senior defensive specialist Skyler Takeda continues to lead the Big Sky and rank 17th in the nation with 0.51 aces per set. Her overall total of 37 aces are the fourth most in the country. Takeda, who is also averaging 2.46 digs per set, has nine matches this season with more than one ace.
• Senior middle blocker Brie Gathright is 34 kills shy of 500 for her career. In the win against NAU, she had 10 kills, six blocks and a .364 hitting percentage. In the fifth set alone, Gathright had three kills, two blocks and a .500 hitting percentage. She has started a team-best 81 straight matches dating back to 2016. Nocetti is second on the team with 71 consecutive starts.
• Redshirt freshman setter Ashtin Olin has posted better than 40 assists in seven straight matches, and currently ranks fourth in the Big Sky in assists per set (9.86) and fifth in aces (0.35). She was named the Big Sky's Offensive Player of the Week on Monday, partially because of her incredible performance in the fifth set against NAU. In that fifth set (the Hornets won, 15-8), she had three kills, a 1.000 hitting percentage, six assists, two digs, two blocks and accounted for four points.
November 17, 2018 VOLLEYBALL’S MATCH AGAINST NORTHERN COLORADO IS CANCELED
November 13, 2018 VOLLEYBALL MOVES TO 11-6 IN LEAGUE AFTER ROAD WIN AT PORTLAND STATE
November 10, 2018 VOLLEYBALL FALLS IN FOUR SETS AT IDAHO STATE
November 8, 2018 VOLLEYBALL DROPS 3-1 ROAD DECISION AT WEBER STATE
October 27, 2018 VOLLEYBALL SPLITS ROAD TRIP AFTER THREE-SET SWEEP AT SOUTHERN UTAH
October 25, 2018 WINNING STREAK COMES TO AN END, VOLLEYBALL FALLS AT NORTHERN ARIZONA
October 23, 2018 FIRST-PLACE VOLLEYBALL ON THE ROAD FOR A PAIR THIS WEEK
October 22, 2018 TWO STRAIGHT WEEKS! NOCETTI NAMED BIG SKY PLAYER OF THE WEEK AGAIN
October 20, 2018 VOLLEYBALL WINS FIFTH STRAIGHT, REMAINS IN TIE FOR FIRST PLACE
October 15, 2018 NOCETTI NAMED BIG SKY VOLLEYBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK
October 13, 2018 VOLLEYBALL MOVES INTO FIRST PLACE AFTER SWEEP OF WEBER STATE
October 11, 2018 VOLLEYBALL CONTINUES TO ROLL, SWEEPS IDAHO STATE AT HOME
October 6, 2018 VOLLEYBALL WINS AT EASTERN WASHINGTON, NOW 4-2 IN BIG SKY PLAY
October 4, 2018 VOLLEYBALL’S WINNING STREAK SNAPPED IN 3-1 LOSS AT IDAHO
October 1, 2018 OLIN NAMED BIG SKY OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
September 29, 2018 VOLLEYBALL WINS THIRD STRAIGHT, BEATS NORTHERN ARIZONA IN FIVE SETS
September 27, 2018 VOLLEYBALL’S MATCH TONIGHT VS SOUTHERN UTAH PUSHED BACK TO A 8:00 PM START
September 27, 2018 VOLLEYBALL BEATS SOUTHERN UTAH, WINS 1,000TH MATCH IN PROGRAM HISTORY
September 26, 2018 VOLLEYBALL HOSTS A PAIR OF MATCHES; SEEKS 1,000TH WIN IN PROGRAM HISTORY
September 22, 2018 VOLLEYBALL WINS AT MONTANA STATE; NOCETTI SECURES 1,000TH CAREER KILL
September 18, 2018 VOLLEYBALL OPENS BIG SKY CONFERENCE PLAY THIS WEEK AT THE MONTANA SCHOOLS
September 14, 2018 INJURY RAVAGED VOLLEYBALL PLAYS TOUGH, BUT FALLS TO PORTLAND
September 14, 2018 VOLLEYBALL FALLS TO 13TH-RANKED WASHINGTON
September 10, 2018 SWINNEY NAMED BIG SKY DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
September 6, 2018 VOLLEYBALL HOSTS THE 4-TEAM SACRAMENTO STATE INVITE FRIDAY AND SATURDAY
September 4, 2018 VOLLEYBALL COMES UP JUST SHORT IN 3-1 HOME LOSS TO UC DAVIS
August 28, 2018 VOLLEYBALL FALLS ON THE ROAD TO SANTA CLARA
August 25, 2018 VOLLEYBALL FALLS IN FOUR SETS TO ARIZONA
August 24, 2018 VOLLEYBALL OPENS SEASON WITH 3-1 VICTORY OVER UTAH STATE
August 8, 2018 VOLLEYBALL SELECTED THIRD IN BIG SKY PRESEASON COACHES POLL