Full set of game notes (pdf)
Big Sky Conference standings
The Week Ahead
• Currently riding a 10-game winning streak and the only unbeaten team in the Big Sky Conference, Sacramento State (19-7, 10-0) wraps up its four-game road trip with matchups at Northern Arizona (9-12, 5-5) on Thursday at 7 p.m., and Southern Utah (6-16, 1-9) on Saturday at 6 p.m.
• With just six matches remaining on the regular season schedule, Sacramento State's magic number is now at four to clinch the Big Sky's regular season title and host the conference tournament.
• Just two weeks ago, the Hornets were victorious against both Southern Utah (3-0) and Northern Arizona (3-1) inside the Nest. The win over NAU on Oct. 14 gave Sacramento State its 22nd consecutive win over Big Sky opposition in regular season matches inside the Nest.
• Sacramento State's 10-0 record in the Big Sky is the program's best mark since joining the league in 1996. The 2007 Hornet squad held the previous record of 8-0.
• The Hornets have won 18 consecutive regular season matches against Big Sky competition. That streak dates back over a full calendar year as a three-set home sweep of Idaho on Oct. 20, 2016, began the streak. The Hornets' last loss came at Northern Arizona on Oct. 15 of last year.
• Sacramento State is one victory shy of its third straight 20-win season, and 30th in program history.
• Still a long ways to go, but if the Hornets manage to win their last six matches, they would become the first Big Sky team to complete an undefeated season in conference play since Cal State Northridge went 16-0 during the 1996 season.
• The Hornets, who are the defending Big Sky South Division champions, are now a combined 35-7 (.833 winning percentage) in league play dating back to the beginning of the 2015 season.
This Week's Multimedia Options
• Free live video will be offered for every match the rest of the season via www.WatchBigSky.com. That includes this week's games at Northern Arizona and Southern Utah. Both of this week's matches will also be available on Pluto TV, a free internet television service that can be viewed via an app for mobile devices as well as on PlutoTV.com.
• Multimedia options (video, live stats) can be accessed to the right of each match on the volleyball schedule at www.hornetsports.com.
vs. This Week's Opponents
• Sacramento State is a combined 42-24 against Northern Arizona and Southern Utah, including wins over both teams earlier this year at home.
• Although the Hornets are 35-17 against Northern Arizona, Sacramento State has experienced recent trouble winning in Flagstaff. In fact, the Hornets have dropped eight straight games when playing on NAU's home court, and the last win came in four sets on Oct. 22, 2009.
• Overall, Sacramento State is 10-14 in Flagstaff, which includes a 1-9 record since 2008. The Lumberjacks have defeated the Hornets each of the last two years in the Big Sky Tournament semifinals.
• Sacramento State is 7-4 all-time against Southern Utah, including a 2-3 record when playing in Cedar City. The Hornets and Thunderbirds usually play close in Cedar City, as four of the five matches have lasted four sets or longer. Sacramento State lost in five sets a year ago (15-10 in the 5th).
• Overall, Sacramento State has won four of the last five meetings against the Thunderbirds.
• Dating back to last year, the Hornets have won 18 consecutive regular season conference matches. The Hornets finished the 2016 season as winners of eight straight league contests.
• Of those 18 straight wins, 11 have come via three-set sweep.
• Overall this season, the Hornets have won 10 straight, and 16 of the last 18 games.
• The team is 10-0 in the Big Sky for the first time ever (2007 held the previous record of 8-0).
• The 10-game winning streak is the second longest for the Hornets in the last 10 years, trailing only the 2015 squad's 12-game streak. While the winning streak is a long one, its only tied for the 14th best winning streak in the storied history of the Sacramento State volleyball program. The school record for longest winning streak is 25 straight, set in 1989. The best winning streak in the program's Div. I era (1991-pres.) is 16 straight, set in both 1995 and 2005.
• Should the Hornets win twice this week, the subsequent 12-game winning streak would tie for the longest (2015) in the last 10 years.
• Sacramento State has won 22 consecutive home matches against Big Sky opposition, a streak which dates back to Sept. 24, 2015.
Winning Streak Numbers
• During the current 10-game winning streak, Sacramento State is averaging big numbers in kills (15.19), digs (19.14) and aces (1.72) per set. The team is also averaging 2.17 blocks per set.
• In addition, the Hornets have hit a very respectable .268 during the streak. To put things in perspective, opponents are averaging nearly two kills per set less than the Hornets (13.33).
• In 36 sets, Sacramento State has 62 aces, including a massive 17 from Kennedy Kurtz.
• The six-rotation outside hitter duo of Mikaela Nocetti (4.19 kps, 3.22 dps) and Shannon Boyle (3.17 kps, 4.83 dps) has been outstanding. Middles Brie Gathright (2.06 kps, .398 hit%) and Lana Brown (2.36 kps, .361 hit%) are both hitting for high percentages.
• Kurtz is hitting a ridiculous .487 (42-4-78) during the winning streak while averaging 1.17 kills, 12.36 assists, 0.47 aces, 2.61 digs and 0.56 blocks per set.
• Aided by the Hornets playing in a robust 103 sets this year, Sacramento State ranks among the top two teams in the nation in four categories, including first in digs (1,785), assists (1,329) and attacks (4,061). The team is also second with 1,412 kills. The Hornets are now 26th in digs per set (17.33).
• Setter Kennedy Kurtz, the national leader in assists with 1,148, reached the 5,000 career assist milestone last week. Her 5,034 career assists rank fourth in school history and fifth in Big Sky history. She needs just four assists to move into fourth place in league history as Idaho State's Courtney Davis (1993-96) currently holds that No. 4 spot with 5,038 assists.
• Senior outside hitter Shannon Boyle is closing in on the 1,000 kills/1,000 digs milestone. She currently has 962 kills and 956 digs.
• Ruben Volta has used the same starters in every match: Boyle and Nocetti at outside hitter, Brown and Gathright in the middle, Kurtz at setter, Davis on the right side and Murdock at libero.
April 4, 2018 SARAH CHLEBANA RETURNS AS ASSISTANT VOLLEYBALL COACH
November 28, 2017 VOLLEYBALL OPENS NIVC PLAY TODAY VS UC IRVINE AT 4:30 PM
November 26, 2017 VOLLEYBALL OPENS PLAY AT THE NIVC ON TUESDAY AGAINST UC IRVINE
November 16, 2017 KURTZ NAMED MVP, VOLTA COACH OF THE YEAR, FOUR HORNETS NAMED ALL-LEAGUE
November 15, 2017 PARKING INFORMATION FOR THE BIG SKY VOLLEYBALL CHAMPIONSHIP
November 13, 2017 VOLLEYBALL HOSTS EIGHT-TEAM BIG SKY TOURNAMENT THURSDAY-SATURDAY
October 16, 2017 NOCETTI NAMED THE BIG SKY OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
October 5, 2017 IN BATTLE FOR BIG SKY SUPREMACY, VOLLEYBALL BEATS NORTH DAKOTA
September 28, 2017 VOLLEYBALL REMAINS PERFECT IN THE BIG SKY, POSTS 3-0 ROAD WIN AT MONTANA
September 26, 2017 WINNERS OF 8 OF THE LAST 10, VOLLEYBALL TO PLAY TWO ROAD MATCHES THIS WEEK
September 21, 2017 HOME WINNING STREAK AT 17 AFTER VOLLEYBALL TAKES DOWN WEBER STATE
September 20, 2017 VOLLEYBALL OPENS BIG SKY PLAY THIS WEEK WITH TWO MATCHES
September 16, 2017 VOLLEYBALL CONCLUDES NEVADA TOURNAMENT WITH 3-2 NAIL BITING LOSS TO MISSOURI
September 15, 2017 VOLLEYBALL HAS WINNING STREAK SNAPPED IN LOSS TO PEPPERDINE
September 14, 2017 VOLLEYBALL TRAVELS TO RENO FOR THREE MATCHES, BEGINNING THURSDAY AT NEVADA
September 14, 2017 WINNING STREAK AT 6 STRAIGHT! VOLLEYBALL DOWNS NEVADA ON THE ROAD, 3-1
September 12, 2017 FIVE WINS IN A ROW! VOLLEYBALL DOWNS SAN FRANCISCO, 3-1
September 11, 2017 KURTZ AND MURDOCK SWEEP THE BIG SKY VOLLEYBALL WEEKLY AWARDS
September 9, 2017 VOLLEYBALL WINS 3RD STRAIGHT, BEATS NORTHERN KENTUCKY, 3-1
September 9, 2017 VOLLEYBALL BEATS SEATTLE, 3-1, COMPLETES PERFECT TOURNAMENT
September 8, 2017 ANOTHER COMEBACK WIN FOR VOLLEYBALL, THIS TIME OVER BOWLING GREEN, 3-2
September 5, 2017 VOLLEYBALL STORMS BACK, KNOCKS OFF UC DAVIS ON THE ROAD, 3-2
September 2, 2017 VOLLEYBALL FALLS TO 10TH-RANKED BYU
September 1, 2017 VOLLEYBALL OPENS BOISE TOURNAMENT WITH 3-1 LOSS TO MISSOURI
September 1, 2017 VOLLEYBALL DROPS HEARTBREAKING 3-2 ROAD DECISION AT BOISE STATE
August 31, 2017 VOLLEYBALL TRAVELS TO BOISE FOR THREE MATCHES IN TWO DAYS
August 30, 2017 VOLLEYBALL FALLS IN HOME OPENER TO PACIFIC, 3-1
August 28, 2017 LANA BROWN NAMED BIG SKY OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
August 25, 2017 VOLLEYBALL OPENS SEASON WITH 3-2 VICTORY OVER UCONN
August 7, 2017 VOLLEYBALL SEASON ON THE HORIZON; PRACTICES BEGIN AUG. 8
June 10, 2017 VOLLEYBALL’S FINAL DAY IN CHINA; TWO MORE BLOGS
May 19, 2017 VOLLEYBALL RELEASES ITS 2017 SCHEDULE