Full set of game notes (7 pages) - pdf
Big Sky Conference standings
The Week Ahead
• Fresh off a pair of wins last week against North Dakota and Northern Colorado, Sacramento State (15-7, 6-0) resumes its season-long four-game homestand against Southern Utah (6-12, 1-5) on Thursday at 7 p.m. followed by Northern Arizona (6-11, 2-4) on Saturday at 1 p.m.
• Last week's win over North Dakota was a battle of the lone unbeaten teams in the Big Sky, as the Hornets now lay claim to the only undefeated team remaining in the conference.
• Sacramento State will bring a six-game winning streak into Thursday's match against Southern Utah, a 14-game regular season winning streak against Big Sky opposition and a 20-game winning streak at home against league teams.
• On Thursday, kids 12-under will be admitted free, there will be free team posters available and every member of the Hornets will sign autographs after the match. Thursday will also be Volleyball Alumni Appreciation Night where all former Sacramento State volleyball players and their families will be admitted free.
• Sacramento State is currently a game ahead of Portland State (5-1) in the Big Sky's South Division. In the North Division, Idaho (5-1) sits in first place, followed by North Dakota (4-2). UND lost at Portland State on Saturday night. For tiebreaker purposes, Sacramento State won its match at Portland State earlier this year, essentially giving the Hornets a two-game lead over the Vikings in the South.
• The Hornets are the defending Big Sky South Division champions after finishing last season with a 20-12 overall record and 13-3 mark in conference.
• During the Hornets' six-game winning streak, four of those victories have come via three-set sweep.
This Week's Multimedia Options
• Free live video will be offered for every match the rest of the season via www.WatchBigSky.com. That includes this week's games vs. Southern Utah and Northern Arizona. Thursday's match will also be on Pluto TV, a free internet television service that can be viewed via an app for mobile devices as well as on PlutoTV.com.
• Multimedia options (video, live stats) can be accessed to the right of each match on the volleyball schedule at www.hornetsports.com.
vs. This Week's Opponents
• Sacramento State is a combined 40-21 against its two opponents this week.
• Southern Utah joined the Big Sky in 2012, and the Hornets are 6-4 against the Thunderbirds. That includes a 4-1 record at home.
• The last Big Sky team to beat the Hornets inside the Nest was Southern Utah, and that came in five sets on the final day of the regular season on Nov. 15, 2014.
• The Hornets and Thunderbirds seem to always play close regardless of records as four of the last six meetings have been decided in five sets. That includes a five-set T-Bird win last year in Cedar City.
• Sacramento State is 34-17 all-time against Northern Arizona, including a massive 22-1 mark when playing at home. The Hornets have won five straight against NAU at home, including a dominant 25-15, 25-18, 25-19 victory last year inside the Nest.
• Northern Arizona has eliminated the Hornets in the Big Sky Tournament semifinals each of the last two years, including a 3-1 Lumberjack win a year ago in Grand Forks, N.D.
• Dating back to last year, the Hornets have won 14 consecutive regular season conference matches. The Hornets finished the 2016 season as winners of eight straight league contests.
• Of those 14 straight wins, nine have come via three-set sweep.
• Overall, the Hornets have won six straight, and 12 of the last 14 games.
• The team is 6-0 in the Big Sky for just the second time since joining the league in 1996 (the 2007 team also accomplished the feat).
• With two wins this week, Sacramento State would match its best Big Sky start in school history. The 2007 squad started with an 8-0 record, but dropped its ninth match. That 2007 team also won the Big Sky title and was the last Hornet squad to qualify for the NCAA Tournament.
• Sacramento State has won 20 consecutive home matches against Big Sky opposition, a streak which dates back to Sept. 24, 2015.
Winning Streak Numbers
• During the current six-game winning streak, Sacramento State is averaging big numbers in kills (15.00), digs (18.38) and aces (1.86) per set. The team is also averaging 2.29 blocks per set.
• In addition, the Hornets have hit a very respectable .253 during the streak. To put things in perspective, opponents are averaging nearly 2.5 kills per set less than the Hornets (12.62) and are hitting just .196.
• In 21 sets, Sacramento State has 39 aces, including a massive 11 from Kennedy Kurtz.
• The six-rotation outside hitter combination of Mikaela Nocetti (3.62 kps, 3.19 dps) and Shannon Boyle (3.57 kps, 4.43 dps) has been outstanding. Middles Brie Gathright (2.10 kps, .430 hit%) and Lana Brown (2.19 kps, .299 hit%) are both hitting for high percentages.
• Kurtz is hitting a ridiculous .580 (30-1-50) while averaging 1.43 kills, 11.71 assists, 0.52 aces, 2.29 digs and 0.57 blocks per set.
• Aided by the fact the Hornets have already played in 88 sets this year, Sacramento State is the national leader in four categories, including kills (1,180), digs (1,482), assists (1,103) and attacks (3,449). The team has moved up to 35th in the nation with 16.84 digs per set.
• In addition, the Hornets have individuals ranking among the nation's top 20 players in many categories. That includes Kennedy Kurtz ranking first with 949 assists and 17th with 33 aces, Shannon Boyle ranking first in attacks (1,025) and 15th in kills (304), Brigitte Murdock 12th with 393 digs, Mikaela Nocetti ranking seventh in attacks (933), and Lana Brown 16th in blocks (95).
• The Hornets have 10 matches remaining on the regular season schedule. They need just five wins to reach the 20-win plateau for the third consecutive season. That would be the program's longest streak since winning 20-plus matches 13 straight years from 1995-2007.
• Ruben Volta has used the same starters in every match: Boyle and Nocetti at outside hitter, Brown and Gathright in the middle, Kurtz at setter, Sarah Davis on the right side and Murdock at libero.
November 28, 2017 VOLLEYBALL OPENS NIVC PLAY TODAY VS UC IRVINE AT 4:30 PM
November 26, 2017 VOLLEYBALL OPENS PLAY AT THE NIVC ON TUESDAY AGAINST UC IRVINE
November 16, 2017 KURTZ NAMED MVP, VOLTA COACH OF THE YEAR, FOUR HORNETS NAMED ALL-LEAGUE
November 15, 2017 PARKING INFORMATION FOR THE BIG SKY VOLLEYBALL CHAMPIONSHIP
November 13, 2017 VOLLEYBALL HOSTS EIGHT-TEAM BIG SKY TOURNAMENT THURSDAY-SATURDAY
October 16, 2017 NOCETTI NAMED THE BIG SKY OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
October 5, 2017 IN BATTLE FOR BIG SKY SUPREMACY, VOLLEYBALL BEATS NORTH DAKOTA
September 28, 2017 VOLLEYBALL REMAINS PERFECT IN THE BIG SKY, POSTS 3-0 ROAD WIN AT MONTANA
September 26, 2017 WINNERS OF 8 OF THE LAST 10, VOLLEYBALL TO PLAY TWO ROAD MATCHES THIS WEEK
September 21, 2017 HOME WINNING STREAK AT 17 AFTER VOLLEYBALL TAKES DOWN WEBER STATE
September 20, 2017 VOLLEYBALL OPENS BIG SKY PLAY THIS WEEK WITH TWO MATCHES
September 16, 2017 VOLLEYBALL CONCLUDES NEVADA TOURNAMENT WITH 3-2 NAIL BITING LOSS TO MISSOURI
September 15, 2017 VOLLEYBALL HAS WINNING STREAK SNAPPED IN LOSS TO PEPPERDINE
September 14, 2017 VOLLEYBALL TRAVELS TO RENO FOR THREE MATCHES, BEGINNING THURSDAY AT NEVADA
September 14, 2017 WINNING STREAK AT 6 STRAIGHT! VOLLEYBALL DOWNS NEVADA ON THE ROAD, 3-1
September 12, 2017 FIVE WINS IN A ROW! VOLLEYBALL DOWNS SAN FRANCISCO, 3-1
September 11, 2017 KURTZ AND MURDOCK SWEEP THE BIG SKY VOLLEYBALL WEEKLY AWARDS
September 9, 2017 VOLLEYBALL WINS 3RD STRAIGHT, BEATS NORTHERN KENTUCKY, 3-1
September 9, 2017 VOLLEYBALL BEATS SEATTLE, 3-1, COMPLETES PERFECT TOURNAMENT
September 8, 2017 ANOTHER COMEBACK WIN FOR VOLLEYBALL, THIS TIME OVER BOWLING GREEN, 3-2
September 5, 2017 VOLLEYBALL STORMS BACK, KNOCKS OFF UC DAVIS ON THE ROAD, 3-2
September 2, 2017 VOLLEYBALL FALLS TO 10TH-RANKED BYU
September 1, 2017 VOLLEYBALL OPENS BOISE TOURNAMENT WITH 3-1 LOSS TO MISSOURI
September 1, 2017 VOLLEYBALL DROPS HEARTBREAKING 3-2 ROAD DECISION AT BOISE STATE
August 31, 2017 VOLLEYBALL TRAVELS TO BOISE FOR THREE MATCHES IN TWO DAYS
August 30, 2017 VOLLEYBALL FALLS IN HOME OPENER TO PACIFIC, 3-1
August 28, 2017 LANA BROWN NAMED BIG SKY OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
August 25, 2017 VOLLEYBALL OPENS SEASON WITH 3-2 VICTORY OVER UCONN
August 7, 2017 VOLLEYBALL SEASON ON THE HORIZON; PRACTICES BEGIN AUG. 8
June 10, 2017 VOLLEYBALL’S FINAL DAY IN CHINA; TWO MORE BLOGS
May 19, 2017 VOLLEYBALL RELEASES ITS 2017 SCHEDULE