Full set of game notes (pdf)
Big Sky Conference Standings
The Week Ahead
• Fresh off a 4-set victory on Tuesday night vs. San Francisco, and currently riding a five-match winning streak, Sacramento State (8-5) will now turn its attention to the Wolf Pack Tournament in Reno.
• The Hornets will play matches on Thursday, Friday and Saturday as part of the three-day, four-team tournament with everything being played in the Virginia Street Gym.
• Sacramento State kicks things off against tournament host Nevada (2-7) on Thursday at 6:30 p.m., followed by Pepperdine (6-4) on Friday at 4 p.m., and Missouri (4-6) on Saturday at 10 a.m.
• By the time Saturday's matchup with Missouri begins, the Hornets will have played four times over a span of five days. In addition, the team will have played 14 of its first 16 away from home.
• The team's current winning streak includes wins over UC Davis, Bowling Green, Northern Kentucky, Seattle and San Francisco. The five-match winning streak is the third longest for the Hornets over the last five years, which includes a 12-match streak in 2015 and nine-match streak last season.
• The game against Missouri on Saturday will be the final non-conference match of the season for Sacramento State as the team begins Big Sky play next week at home against Weber State on Thursday and Idaho State on Saturday.
This Week's Multimedia Options
• Live video, presented by the Mountain West Network, will be available for free for the Hornets' match at Nevada on Thursday. However, video will not be provided for Sacramento State's games on Friday and Saturday.
• Multimedia options (video, live stats) can be accessed to the right of each match on the volleyball schedule at www.hornetsports.com. Live stats will be available for every match this week.
• Free live video will be offered for every home match this season via www.WatchBigSky.com. In addition, free video will be offered for every road match played in a Big Sky Conference venue.
vs. This Week's Opponents
• Sacramento State is a combined 35-15 against the opponents it will play at the tournament.
• That includes a 34-12 mark against Nevada in a series which dates back to 1976. The two teams have split their last 16 matchups against each other dating back to 1998. In addition, Sacramento State is 10-10 when playing on Nevada's home floor, but the Wolf Pack have won six of the last seven meetings in Reno with the lone Hornet win during that run coming on Sept. 5, 2006.
• The Hornets are 0-2 all-time against Pepperdine. Friday will mark the first time the two teams have played since a 3-0 Hornet loss on Sept. 4, 1998, at a tournament in Wyoming.
• Sacramento State is 1-1 against Missouri, with the lone loss coming earlier this season in four sets at a tournament hosted by Boise State. The lone Hornet win in the series came in 1991.
Winning Streak Numbers
• Sacramento State has won five straight matches, and the team's defensive effort has fueled the winning streak thus far.
• During the five wins, Sacramento State has limited the opposition to a .160 hitting percentage while the team is averaging 18.36 digs and 2.36 blocks per set. Of the five opponents faced, four have hit for hitting percentages below .185. Brigitte Murdock (5.05), Shannon Boyle (4.23), Mikaela Nocetti (2.95) and Kennedy Kurtz (2.86) all have healthy digs per set averages during the run.
• The Hornets haven't necessarily dominated as all five of the wins have come in four or five sets.
• Offensively, Sacramento State is averaging 13.27 kills per set while hitting .213. Boyle leads the way with 3.73 kills per set while Nocetti is averaging 3.00 kps. Middles Lana Brown (2.05 kps, .308 hit%) and Brie Gathright (1.55 kps, .305 hit%) are both hitting better than .300.
• Kurtz, a fourth-year setter, has been a big catalyst, averaging 0.91 kills, 10.55 assists, 0.45 aces, 2.86 digs and 0.59 blocks per set while hitting a team-high .536 (20-5-28) during the streak.
• Setter Kennedy Kurtz has 996 career digs, and needs just four to reach the 1,000 milestone. She already has 4,463 career assists which ranks as the fourth best mark in school history.
• Amazingly, Sacramento State has played in just one three-set match this year, and that came in a loss to 10th-ranked BYU. The Hornets have played to four sets on eight occasions (5-3) and to five sets on four occasions (3-1).
• Helped by the fact the team has already played in a robust 55 sets, Sacramento State currently leads the nation in total kills (709), digs (903), attacks (2,117) and assists (661).
• In addition, Kurtz leads the nation with 577 assists, and libero Brigitte Murdock is third in total digs with 251.
• Outside hitters Shannon Boyle (640) and Mikaela Nocetti (578) rank first and second in the nation, respectively, in total attacks. Boyle's 189 kills are the third best mark in the country.
• The Hornets have already played in 21 different sets that have been decided by three points or less, and the team is 12-9 in those sets. In addition, they are 8-7 in the 15 sets decided by two points.
• Sacramento State is just 25 wins shy of the program's 1,000th all-time victory. Overall, the program is 975-444, good for a .687 winning percentage.
• The Hornets are 7-0 when limiting the opposition to a hitting percentage below .200, and 1-5 when the opposition hits .200 or better.
• Head coach Ruben Volta has used the same starting lineup every match this season, consisting of Boyle and Nocetti at outside hitter, Brie Gathright and Lana Brown at middle blocker, Kurtz at setter, Davis at rightside hitter, and Murdock at libero.
• The top three players in the Big Sky, in terms of double-doubles, are all Hornets. Boyle ranks first with nine, Nocetti is second with eight and Kurtz is tied for third with seven.
• Over her last two matches, Davis is averaging 2.25 kills per set with a .386 hitting percentage.
• After a schedule front loaded with matches away from home, Sacramento State will see a lot of action inside the Nest very soon as the team will play six of its first eight Big Sky Conference matches inside the friendly confines.
April 4, 2018 SARAH CHLEBANA RETURNS AS ASSISTANT VOLLEYBALL COACH
November 28, 2017 VOLLEYBALL OPENS NIVC PLAY TODAY VS UC IRVINE AT 4:30 PM
November 26, 2017 VOLLEYBALL OPENS PLAY AT THE NIVC ON TUESDAY AGAINST UC IRVINE
November 16, 2017 KURTZ NAMED MVP, VOLTA COACH OF THE YEAR, FOUR HORNETS NAMED ALL-LEAGUE
November 15, 2017 PARKING INFORMATION FOR THE BIG SKY VOLLEYBALL CHAMPIONSHIP
November 13, 2017 VOLLEYBALL HOSTS EIGHT-TEAM BIG SKY TOURNAMENT THURSDAY-SATURDAY
October 16, 2017 NOCETTI NAMED THE BIG SKY OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
October 5, 2017 IN BATTLE FOR BIG SKY SUPREMACY, VOLLEYBALL BEATS NORTH DAKOTA
September 28, 2017 VOLLEYBALL REMAINS PERFECT IN THE BIG SKY, POSTS 3-0 ROAD WIN AT MONTANA
September 26, 2017 WINNERS OF 8 OF THE LAST 10, VOLLEYBALL TO PLAY TWO ROAD MATCHES THIS WEEK
September 21, 2017 HOME WINNING STREAK AT 17 AFTER VOLLEYBALL TAKES DOWN WEBER STATE
September 20, 2017 VOLLEYBALL OPENS BIG SKY PLAY THIS WEEK WITH TWO MATCHES
September 16, 2017 VOLLEYBALL CONCLUDES NEVADA TOURNAMENT WITH 3-2 NAIL BITING LOSS TO MISSOURI
September 15, 2017 VOLLEYBALL HAS WINNING STREAK SNAPPED IN LOSS TO PEPPERDINE
September 14, 2017 VOLLEYBALL TRAVELS TO RENO FOR THREE MATCHES, BEGINNING THURSDAY AT NEVADA
September 14, 2017 WINNING STREAK AT 6 STRAIGHT! VOLLEYBALL DOWNS NEVADA ON THE ROAD, 3-1
September 12, 2017 FIVE WINS IN A ROW! VOLLEYBALL DOWNS SAN FRANCISCO, 3-1
September 11, 2017 KURTZ AND MURDOCK SWEEP THE BIG SKY VOLLEYBALL WEEKLY AWARDS
September 9, 2017 VOLLEYBALL WINS 3RD STRAIGHT, BEATS NORTHERN KENTUCKY, 3-1
September 9, 2017 VOLLEYBALL BEATS SEATTLE, 3-1, COMPLETES PERFECT TOURNAMENT
September 8, 2017 ANOTHER COMEBACK WIN FOR VOLLEYBALL, THIS TIME OVER BOWLING GREEN, 3-2
September 5, 2017 VOLLEYBALL STORMS BACK, KNOCKS OFF UC DAVIS ON THE ROAD, 3-2
September 2, 2017 VOLLEYBALL FALLS TO 10TH-RANKED BYU
September 1, 2017 VOLLEYBALL OPENS BOISE TOURNAMENT WITH 3-1 LOSS TO MISSOURI
September 1, 2017 VOLLEYBALL DROPS HEARTBREAKING 3-2 ROAD DECISION AT BOISE STATE
August 31, 2017 VOLLEYBALL TRAVELS TO BOISE FOR THREE MATCHES IN TWO DAYS
August 30, 2017 VOLLEYBALL FALLS IN HOME OPENER TO PACIFIC, 3-1
August 28, 2017 LANA BROWN NAMED BIG SKY OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
August 25, 2017 VOLLEYBALL OPENS SEASON WITH 3-2 VICTORY OVER UCONN
August 7, 2017 VOLLEYBALL SEASON ON THE HORIZON; PRACTICES BEGIN AUG. 8
June 10, 2017 VOLLEYBALL’S FINAL DAY IN CHINA; TWO MORE BLOGS
May 19, 2017 VOLLEYBALL RELEASES ITS 2017 SCHEDULE