Full set of game notes (pdf)
Tournament home page
The Week Ahead
• Sacramento State begins the 2017 season this week at the two-day, four-team Jack Kaiser Volleyball Classic, hosted by St. John's in Queens, N.Y.
• The Hornets open the tournament on Friday against both UConn (9 a.m. PDT) and St. John's (4 p.m. PDT), before playing twice more on Saturday vs. Holy Cross (9 a.m. PDT) and New Hampshire (2 p.m. PDT).
• The tournament features five teams and eight matches over two days. Two facilities are being used for the event and Sacramento State's matches against UConn, Holy Cross and New Hampshire will take place at the Taffner Field House while the St. John's matchup will be played at Carnesecca Arena.
• Sacramento State is a combined 2-0 all-time against its four opponents this week, and will take on both Holy Cross and St. John's for the first time in school history.
• Sacramento State is 5-4 in season openers during Ruben Volta's tenure as head coach.
• The Hornets will play their first four, and 11 of their first 12 matches, away from home. The only home match during that span will come on Aug. 30 vs. Pacific at 7 p.m.
• Of the team's 16 non-conference matches, 13 will come via tournament play, including stops in Queens, and Boise, Idaho (Sept. 1-2), Highland, Ky. (Sept. 8-9) and Reno, Nev. (Sept. 14-16).
This Week's Multimedia Options
• Beginning with this week's matches, live stats will be available for every match this year.
• Free live video will be provided for Sacramento State's match against St. John's. Each of the Hornets' other three matches during the tournament will not have a video stream.
• Multimedia options (video, live stats) can be accessed to the right of each match on the volleyball schedule at www.hornetsports.com.
• Free live video will be offered for every home match this season via www.WatchBigSky.com. In addition, free video will be offered for every road match played in a Big Sky Conference venue.
vs. This Week's Opponents
• Sacramento State has played a combined two matches in program history against this week's opponents. The Hornets have never faced Holy Cross or tournament host St. John's.
• The Hornets are 1-0 against both UConn and New Hampshire. In the only meeting against UConn, the Hornets defeated the Huskies via three-set sweep on the road on Sept. 7, 2002. Sacramento State knocked off New Hampshire in Syracuse, N.Y. via three-set sweep on Aug. 29, 2009.
Coming Off A 20-Win Season and South Division Title
• Last year, Sacramento State posted a 20-12 overall record, a 13-3 mark in the Big Sky Conference, 9-3 at home, 8-5 on the road and 3-4 on neutral floors.
• The Hornets won the Big Sky's South Division for the first time and assumed the No. 2 seed at the conference tournament before falling in four sets to Northern Arizona in the semifinals.
• Sacramento State has now posted back-to-back 20-win seasons, combining for a 46-19 overall mark and a 25-7 record in league over that span.
• The Hornets have not lost a home match against a conference team since 2014, going 8-0 inside the Nest each of the last two years.
• Last season, Sacramento State led the 12-team Big Sky in kills (13.80 per set), assists (12.83 per set) and digs (17.72 per set). The digs per set also ranked as the eighth best mark in the nation.
• The Hornets won each of their final eight regular season matches and improved the winning streak to nine with a Big Sky Tournament quarterfinal victory over Eastern Washington. However, that nine-match winning streak came to an end with the 3-1 semifinal loss to Northern Arizona.
A Lot Of Returners, But Three Huge Losses
• The Hornets welcome back 12 players from a season ago, including four starters.
• Among the returners are starters at setter (senior Kennedy Kurtz), outside hitter (senior Shannon Boyle, junior Mikaela Nocetti) and middle blocker (junior Brie Gathright). Both Kurtz and Nocetti will be this year's team captains.
• Kurtz was a first team all-league selection after ranking 14th in the nation with 11.29 assists per set while Boyle was a second team choice after ranking fourth in the Big Sky with 3.49 kills per set.
• The Hornets, however, will have to compensate for the losses of three graduated seniors who were each named second team all-Big Sky. That list includes Lexie Skalbeck who was also named the Big Sky Libero of the Year. Middle blocker Courtney Dietrich (led the Big Sky with a .369 hitting percentage) and rightside hitter Madeline Cannon (3.06 kps, 3.66 pps) were also huge contributors to a Hornet team that won 17 matches by four sets or less.
• Sacramento State took an 11-day tour of China from May 31-June 10 that included six matches against local college and junior professional teams. The Hornets spent three days in Shanghai, followed by three days in Nanjing, and the rest of the trip took place in Beijing. The trip was the first abroad for Sacramento State volleyball.
• The China trip was inspired by former longtime assistant coach Weidi Zhang (pronounced Way-DEE ZONG), who came out of retirement this year and will serve as the team's volunteer assistant.
• Since volleyball became a sport at Sacramento State, the program is just 33 wins shy of 1,000 victories. The Hornets have a 967-439 overall record, good for a .688 winning percentage.
• Ruben Volta begins his 10th season at head coach, and the 2015 Big Sky Coach of the Year has been a member of the coaching staff a combined 17 years – one year as the associate head coach (2007), five years as an assistant (2002-06) and two seasons as a volunteer assistant (2000-01).
• For the first time in four years, the Hornets will have a new starting libero as Lexie Skalbeck was the starter three straight seasons until graduating last year. This year's starting libero will likely be fourth-year senior Brigitte Murdock.
• After spending two years as volunteer assistant coach, John Fluette (pronounced FLOO-ett) will make his Hornet debut as assistant coach this week.
April 4, 2018 SARAH CHLEBANA RETURNS AS ASSISTANT VOLLEYBALL COACH
November 28, 2017 VOLLEYBALL OPENS NIVC PLAY TODAY VS UC IRVINE AT 4:30 PM
November 26, 2017 VOLLEYBALL OPENS PLAY AT THE NIVC ON TUESDAY AGAINST UC IRVINE
November 16, 2017 KURTZ NAMED MVP, VOLTA COACH OF THE YEAR, FOUR HORNETS NAMED ALL-LEAGUE
November 15, 2017 PARKING INFORMATION FOR THE BIG SKY VOLLEYBALL CHAMPIONSHIP
November 13, 2017 VOLLEYBALL HOSTS EIGHT-TEAM BIG SKY TOURNAMENT THURSDAY-SATURDAY
October 16, 2017 NOCETTI NAMED THE BIG SKY OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
October 5, 2017 IN BATTLE FOR BIG SKY SUPREMACY, VOLLEYBALL BEATS NORTH DAKOTA
September 28, 2017 VOLLEYBALL REMAINS PERFECT IN THE BIG SKY, POSTS 3-0 ROAD WIN AT MONTANA
September 26, 2017 WINNERS OF 8 OF THE LAST 10, VOLLEYBALL TO PLAY TWO ROAD MATCHES THIS WEEK
September 21, 2017 HOME WINNING STREAK AT 17 AFTER VOLLEYBALL TAKES DOWN WEBER STATE
September 20, 2017 VOLLEYBALL OPENS BIG SKY PLAY THIS WEEK WITH TWO MATCHES
September 16, 2017 VOLLEYBALL CONCLUDES NEVADA TOURNAMENT WITH 3-2 NAIL BITING LOSS TO MISSOURI
September 15, 2017 VOLLEYBALL HAS WINNING STREAK SNAPPED IN LOSS TO PEPPERDINE
September 14, 2017 VOLLEYBALL TRAVELS TO RENO FOR THREE MATCHES, BEGINNING THURSDAY AT NEVADA
September 14, 2017 WINNING STREAK AT 6 STRAIGHT! VOLLEYBALL DOWNS NEVADA ON THE ROAD, 3-1
September 12, 2017 FIVE WINS IN A ROW! VOLLEYBALL DOWNS SAN FRANCISCO, 3-1
September 11, 2017 KURTZ AND MURDOCK SWEEP THE BIG SKY VOLLEYBALL WEEKLY AWARDS
September 9, 2017 VOLLEYBALL WINS 3RD STRAIGHT, BEATS NORTHERN KENTUCKY, 3-1
September 9, 2017 VOLLEYBALL BEATS SEATTLE, 3-1, COMPLETES PERFECT TOURNAMENT
September 8, 2017 ANOTHER COMEBACK WIN FOR VOLLEYBALL, THIS TIME OVER BOWLING GREEN, 3-2
September 5, 2017 VOLLEYBALL STORMS BACK, KNOCKS OFF UC DAVIS ON THE ROAD, 3-2
September 2, 2017 VOLLEYBALL FALLS TO 10TH-RANKED BYU
September 1, 2017 VOLLEYBALL OPENS BOISE TOURNAMENT WITH 3-1 LOSS TO MISSOURI
September 1, 2017 VOLLEYBALL DROPS HEARTBREAKING 3-2 ROAD DECISION AT BOISE STATE
August 31, 2017 VOLLEYBALL TRAVELS TO BOISE FOR THREE MATCHES IN TWO DAYS
August 30, 2017 VOLLEYBALL FALLS IN HOME OPENER TO PACIFIC, 3-1
August 28, 2017 LANA BROWN NAMED BIG SKY OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
August 25, 2017 VOLLEYBALL OPENS SEASON WITH 3-2 VICTORY OVER UCONN
August 7, 2017 VOLLEYBALL SEASON ON THE HORIZON; PRACTICES BEGIN AUG. 8
June 10, 2017 VOLLEYBALL’S FINAL DAY IN CHINA; TWO MORE BLOGS
May 19, 2017 VOLLEYBALL RELEASES ITS 2017 SCHEDULE