SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Sofia Gulnova won her fifth straight singles match Saturday afternoon at the Sacramento State tennis courts as the Hornets cruised to a strong 5-2 win over visiting Cal Poly.
Gulnova is now on a five match win streak in singles play after taking her match against the Mustangs' Susanne Boyden in three sets, 3-6, 6-1, ret. For the season, the sophomore improved to 7-3 in singles play.
The afternoon started with exciting doubles play that came down to the third match. Cal Poly's doubles team of Caroline Williams and Grace Olyphant took the first doubles match 6-2 against the Hornets' pair of Gulnova and Jenna Dorian, but Sacramento State's Carolina Chernyetsky and Maria Gonzalez came right back with a 6-3 win to even things up at one match apiece. The Hornets clinched the doubles point when Ana Loazia Esquivias and teammate Shamika Dhar defeated Abigail Bacharach and MacKenzie Worsnop.
"Getting the doubles point was crucial today," said women's tennis head coach Cami Hubbs after the match. "I'm very proud of this team for stepping up today and maintaining a high level of play throughout the day."
That high level of play was evident as the teams shifted into singles play as the Hornets rode their momentum to win the first three singles matches to clinch the win. Dorian played in the no.4 spot and cruised over the Mustangs' Caroline Williams in straight sets, 6-1, 6-0. Loazia Esquivias took a clean win over Worsnop, 6-1, 6-1, and Gonzalez secured the team win for the Hornets by defeating Seriana Saltzen, 6-4, 6-3.
Gulnova's win game the Hornets their fifth point of the day before Cal Poly's Olyphant and Celina Gruaz won the day's final two matches.
The Hornets will stay at home and play their first home conference match of the season as they host Idaho on Tuesday, March 13 at 1:00 pm PT.
Sacramento State 5, Cal Poly 2
- Ana Loaiza Esquivias (SAC) def. MacKenzie Worsnop (CP) 6-1, 6-1
- Maria Gonzalez (SAC) def. Seriana Saltzen (CP) 6-4, 6-3
- Sofia Gulnova (SAC) def. Susanne Boyden (CP) 3-6, 6-1, retired
- Jenna Dorian (SAC) def. Caroline Williams (CP) 6-1, 6-0
- Grace Olyphant (CP) def. Carolina Chernyetsky (SAC) 7-6 (9-7), 6-2
- Celine Gruaz (CP) def. Shamika Dhar (SAC) 6-1, 6-7 (5-7), 10-6
- Carolina Chernyetsky/Maria Gonzalez (SAC) def. Seriana Saltzen/Celine Gruaz (CP) 6-3
- Ana Loaiza Esquivias/Shamika Dhar (SAC) def. Abigail Bacharach/MacKenzie Worsnop (CP) 7-6 (11-9)
- Caroline Williams/Grace Olyphant (CP) def. Jenna Dorian/Sofia Gulnova (SAC) 6-2
Cal Poly 3-8
Sacramento State 3-8
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (4,1,2,3,5,6)