SACRAMENTO, Calif. – The Sacramento State women's tennis team welcomed Nevada to Sacramento State for their first home match of the season Saturday afternoon. The match turned into a marathon, lasting over four hours with four of the individual matches going to three sets and included two tie-breakers. Despite battling all afternoon, the Hornets came out just behind, falling to Nevada, 4-3.
"Today was a very hard-fought match," said head coach Cami Hubbs. "On a different day, I really think we come away with the win in this one. But for now, it's back to the drwaing board as we prepare for next week."
Nevada opened up against Sacramento State by taking the first two doubles matches of the day. Ana Loaiza Esquivias and Carolina Chernyetsky fell to Nevada's Claudia Herrero and Blaga Delic, 6-3, before Sofi Wicker and Sofia Gulnova dropped their match to Maria Tatarnikova and Lili Fekete, 6-4.
In singles play, Nevada took the day's first two matches as Melissa Huchet defeated Shamika Dhar in the No. 4 position in two sets, 6-3, 6-2, and Delic defeated Gonzalez 7-5, 7-5, in the No. 3 position, giving the Wolf Pack a 3-0 lead.
The Hornets got their first point of the day when Wicker defeated Gergelyova in the No. 2 singles position, 7-6(8), 6-3.
The No. 1 match, featuring the Big Sky's defending Player of the Week, Loaiza Esquivias, was the deciding match as Loaiza Esquivias fell to Herrero in three sets, 5-7, 6-3, 6-4.
The afternoon's final two matches were also its longest, though Sacramento came away with wins in both to make the final score 4-3. In the No. 5 position, Gulnova took down Fekete in three sets, 4-6, 7-5, 10-7. Then, in the No. 6 spot, Dorian defeated Nevada's Tatarnikova, also in three sets, 4-6, 7-6(2), 6-3.
The Hornets are back on the road next weekend as they play Colorado on Sat., Feb. 10 at 10 am PT. On Sunday, they face Northern Colorado in their second conference match of the year.
Nevada 4, Sacramento State 3
- Claudia Herrero (NEV) def. Ana Loaiza Esquivias (SAC), 5-7, 6-3, 6-4
- Sofi Wicker (SAC) def. Adriana Gergelyova (NEV), 7-6(8), 6-3
- Blaga Delic (NEV) def. Maria Gonzalez (SAC) 7-5, 7-5
- Melissa Hutchet (NEV) def. Shamika Dhar (SAC), 6-3, 6-2
- Sofia Gulnova (SAC) def. Lili Fekete (NEV), 4-6, 7-5, 10-7
- Jenna Dorian (SAC) def. Maria Tatarnikova (4-6, 7-6(2), 6-3
- Claudia Herrero/Blaga Delic (NEV) def. Ana Loaiza Esquivias/Carolina Chernyetsky (SAC) 6-3
- Maria Gonzalez/Jenna Dorian (SAC) def. Marta Ruedes/Adriana Gergelyova (NEV), 7-5
- Maria Tatarnikova/Lili Fekete (NEV) def. Sofi Wicker/Sofia Gulnova (SAC) 6-4
Order of Finish
Doubles: 1, 3*, 2
Singles: 4, 3, 2, 1*, 5, 6