SACRAMENTO, Calif. — The Sacramento State women's tennis team won a Big Sky Conference match for an astounding 94th straight time, beating Northern Arizona, 5-2, on Sunday afternoon at Rio Del Oro Racquet Club.
The Hornets (2-7, 2-0 Big Sky) have not lost a league match in either the regular season or conference tournament since 2001, when the three freshman in Sacramento State's starting six on Sunday were just six years old. Northern Arizona (6-8, 1-1) defeated Northern Colorado, 7-0, earlier this season.
On Sunday, the Hornets jumped ahead quickly and claimed the doubles point with three doubles win. Katharina Knoebl and Jennifer Nguyen, fresh off an upset of a nationally ranked pair at Saint Mary's on Friday, won 8-3 at No. 2 single against the Lumberjacks.
In singles play, Rebeca Delgado and Olivia Boija, plus Knoebl and Nguyen, all won in straight sets. Delgado defeated Ghizelene Doballah, 6-1, 6-0, at No. 1 singles while Nguyen won, 6-2, 6-1, at No. 3, Knoebl was victorious, 6-0, 6-2, at No. 4 and Boija pulled it out, 6-4, 6-4 at No. 5.
Northern Arizona won at No. 2 and No. 6 singles.
Up next for the Hornets are three Big Sky matches at Southern Utah, Weber State and Idaho State next weekend.
Sacramento State 5, Northern Arizona 2
(Rio Del Oro Racquet Club)
1. DELGADO, Rebeca (SACW) def. DOBALLAH, Ghizelene (NAU) 6-1, 6-0
2. STONE, Hannah (NAU) def. LOHSCHEIDT, Sophie (SACW) 6-4, 6-4
3. NGUYEN, Jennifer (SACW) def. VANG, Johanna (NAU) 6-2, 6-1
4. KNOEBL, Katharina (SACW) def. WAHINEPIO, Malia (NAU) 6-0, 6-2
5. BOIJA, Olivia (SACW) def. PACAUT, Alice (NAU) 6-4, 6-4
6. PEREZ, Nicole (NAU) def. ANGERER, Saskia (SACW) 3-6, 6-3, 10-7
1. DELGADO, Rebeca/LOHSCHEIDT, Sophie (SACW) def. VANG, Johanna/STONE, Hannah (NAU) 8-3
2. KNOEBL, Katharina/NGUYEN, Jennifer (SACW) def. DOBALLAH, Ghizelene/PEREZ, Nicole (NAU) 8-3
3. BOIJA, Olivia/GOMEZ CARUS, Andrea (SACW) def. PACAUT, Alice/WAHINEPIO, Malia (NAU) 8-6
Northern Arizona 6-8, 1-1 Big Sky
Sacramento State 2-7, 2-0 Big Sky
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,1,4,2,5,6)