SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Sacramento State fought back from a 1-0 deficit to force overtime with a goal in the 86th minute and settled for a 1-1 tie against Montana on Friday afternoon.

"I thought we played great today," Sacramento State head coach Randy Dedini said. "The energy was high all game long and we had a good game plan going in. Once we gave up the goal (in the 51st minute) we kind of lost our composure for about 15 minutes but we regained it and realized we still had time to score. We were battling for that goal and I'm really pleased with our effort."

Senior Kassidy Kellogg headed home the equalizer on a perfect cross from freshman Mikayla Reed with just over four minutes remaining in regulation time. The goal kept Sacramento State (3-4-3, 1-0-2 Big Sky) undefeated through three league games as the Hornets beat Montana (5-4-3, 1-1-1 Big Sky) for the fifth time in the last seven meetings.

The game was the seventh Hornet contest this season to go to overtime. The team has now played 110 minutes of overtime soccer this year and has four ties after going nearly three years without a draw. Friday's result was the second straight 1-1 tie for the Hornets and their third 1-1 final in the last five games.

In a game between the top two defensive teams in the Big Sky, in terms of goals against average, the Hornets came close to several goals early as they dominated play through most of the first half. Junior Kayla Collins nearly had a goal less than two minutes into the game but her shot was cleared off the goal line by a Montana defender.

In the 18th minute Collins hit the crossbar with a shot and a rebound header attempt from junior Andrea Boehm was denied on a lunging save from Montana goalkeeper Kailey Norman. The Hornets came close again on a rebound in the 24th minute but what appeared to be a goal was waived off by an offside call.

Sacramento State had a 9-3 shot advantage in the first half and had all of the dangerous chances, but Montana settled in and got the first goal of the game in the 51st minute. Ashlee Pedersen had a break into the box from just past midfield and was denied by goalkeeper Destiny Butcher on her shot attempt but Madison Adams was able to put home the rebound.

Montana was 5-4 in shots in the second half but was not able to complete a shutout. The Hornets had two shots in the first OT but couldn't score, and in the second overtime period the Griz had the better chances and with a couple of dangerous shots deep in the box but were unable to net a winner.

For the game Sacramento State had a 15-11 edge in shots and finished 9-7 in shots on goal. There were just five total fouls in the first half but 21 after that with three yellow cards. Montana, which leads the Big Sky in fouls and entered the game third in the nation with 15 yellow cards, was called for 18 fouls in the game and picked up two more yellows.

The Hornets will be in action Sunday hosting Big Sky leader Eastern Washington at noon. The Eagles are 8-1-2 overall and 2-0-1 in league play after a scoreless draw on Friday at Portland State.