ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Facing some of the best competition in the nation, the Sacramento State indoor track & field teams continued to set personal records and posted four more school top 10 marks during the first day of the New Mexico Collegiate Classic on Friday.
The New Mexico Collegiate Classic features five women's teams and pair of men's that are ranked among the top 25.
The meet will continue on Saturday at 9 a.m. PT.
WOMEN'S TRACK HIGHLIGHTS
• Amy Quinones finished third in the 3K and destroyed her personal best in the process. The senior ran 10:11.53 to move into 10th place in program history. Quinones' previous low was 10:57.62 which came last season at the Big Sky Championships. The time comes a week after Quinones trimmed nearly eight seconds off her mile time.
• Shilah Bedingfield and Mikayla Revera each ran sub 25 seconds in the 200. Bedingfield finished in 16th place with a time of 24.58. Revera had a dramatic improvement in the event and is now ninth in the Hornet record book. The sophomore crossed the line in 24.88 which was over a half second faster than her best of 25.27 which was set two weeks ago. The team also had five other personal bests in the event.
• Denise Reis placed seventh in the 600 and Cassidy Zurn was ninth in the 400 to complete the top 10 finishers for the women in the running events. Reis ran 1:35.20 and Zurn posted a time of 58.00. Jasmin Correa also set a PR in the 400 in 59.48.
MEN'S TRACK HIGHLIGHTS
• Jose Rodriguez was sixth in the 400 with a career best of 50.95. Rodriguez's previous best was 51.72 at the Ed Jacoby Invitational to start the year.
• The team was led in the other running events on Friday by Clinton Spellman in the 200 (22.15), Abraham Maldonado in the 600 (1:23.33) and Elijah Changco in the 3K (9:13.57).
WOMEN'S FIELD HIGHLIGHTS
• Shelby Dozier cleared a career best 5-07.25 in the high jump to finish sixth overall and move into sixth place in school history. Jade Cany was seventh with a PR of 5-05.25.
• Morgan Jones, Jelaia Jones, Samantha Henkel and Rhaven Dean each finished in the top 10 of the women's weight throw. Morgan Jones threw 59-01.25 to set her season best by over two feet. Jelaia Jones had a best of 57-02.25 to finish fourth. Henkel set a PR at 53-03.75 to place seventh and Dean was 10th at 50-03.25.
MEN'S FIELD HIGHLIGHTS
• Ryan Tennant, who crashed into the top 10 in the triple jump earlier in his freshman season, moved into a tie for ninth in the long jump. Tennant finished third at the meet with a best of 23-10.00 which placed him sixth in the Big Sky this year. Daron Bland was sixth at the meet at 23-00.50.
• Kyle Peterson placed third and Evan Stork was fifth in the weight throw. Peterson had a season best of 60-01.00 and became just the second Big Sky athlete to eclipse 60-feet this season in the event. Story threw 54-02.50.
• Jevin Kitchen tied for third place in the high jump with a successful attempt at 6-07.50.
• Andrew Fowler had a PR in the pole vault at 15-01.75 which moved him into fifth place on the conference list in 2019.
200: 12. Clinton Spellman 22.15; 22. Calvin Spellman 22.67; 25. Jose Rodriguez 22.75; 28. Andrew Stich 22.87; 30. Frederick Wagner V 23.07; 31. Ryan Tennant 23.11; 33. Andrew Fowler 23.57; 35. Jevin Kitchen 23.75; 36. Tegbir Jhutty 23.77; 39. Adrienne Jackson 24.45.
400: 6. Jose Rodriguez 50.95.
600: 9. Abraham Maldonado 1:23.33; 10. Zach Blackwood 1:24.24.
3K: 12. Elijah Changco 9:13.57; 14. Ross Walker 9:20.93.
HJ: T3. Jevin Kitchen 6-07.50; Frederick Wagner V NH.
PV: Andrew Fowler 15-01.75; Andrew Stich NH.
LJ: 3. Ryan Tennant 23-10.00; 6. Daron Bland 23-00.50; 11. Adrienne Jackson 21-08.00; 12. Tegbir Jhutty 21-07.50; 13. Andrew Stich 21-07.50; 14. Frederick Wagner V 21-02.00.
WT: 3. Kyle Peterson 60-01.00; 5. Evan Stork 54-02.50.
200: 16. Shilah Bedingfield 24.58; 19. Mikayla Revera 24.88; 26. Brittany Patterson 25.26; 34. Cassidy Zurn 25.69; 35. Amari Jones 25.71; 39. Meaghan Rogers 25.80; 42. Angelica Cusworth 25.93; 45. Emilia Del Hoyo 25.98; 52. Artearra Coffey 26.24; 54. Jasmin Correa 26.47; 57. Nashedah Mu'Min 26.73; 58. Chloe Lindbo 26.76; Jade Cany FS.
400: 9. Cassidy Zurn 58.00; 18. Jasmin Correa 59.48.
600: 7. Denise Reis 1:35.20.
3K: Amy Quinones 10:11.53.
HJ: 6. Shelby Dozier 5-07.25; 7. Jade Cany 5-05.25.
LJ: 22. Tia Cooke 16-10.00; 27. Sareena Patzke 14-10.50; 28. Chloe Lindbo 14-08.00.
WT: 3. Morgan Jones 59-01.25; 4. Jelaia Jones 57-02.25; 7. Samantha Henkel 53-03.75; 10. Rhaven Dean 50-03.25; 17. Shantel Nnaji 44-04.25.