Full set of game notes (pdf)
• After competing for three days last week in Puerto Vallarta, Sacramento State (3-6) returns home to host a three-game series against Loyola Marymount (6-2) this weekend.
• The two teams will play a doubleheader on Saturday at noon, followed by a single game on Sunday at 11 a.m.
• All three games can be seen and live and free via watchbigsky.com. Please take note that this week's games will not be on Pluto.TV. Reminder that all multimedia options for games (video, audio, live stats) can be found next to each game on the softball schedule at hornetsports.com.
• Loyola Marymount is currently receiving votes in the NFCA top 25 poll. The Hornets are 21-26 all-time against the Lions, including a 10-11 mark when playing at Shea Stadium.
• The Hornets and Lions were rivals in the Pacific Coast Softball Conference from 2003-12.
• Sacramento State is coming off its first-ever appearance at the Puerto Vallarta College Challenge in Mexico. The Hornets went 0-4 at the event, which includes games against two nationally ranked opponents - #11 Arkansas and #25 Mississippi State. The Hornets held leads in three of the four games, but could not pull out a win. That includes losses to Southern Illinois and Central Florida.
• The Hornets will now return home to Shea Stadium where they opened the season by posting a 3-2 record at the NorCal Kickoff two weeks ago.
• Dating back to the beginning of last season, the Hornets are 18-9 at Shea Stadium.
• Sacramento State's offense is currently batting .293, and five Hornet regulars are hitting better than .300. That includes Nene Alas (.414), Katie Vretzos (.414), Mo Spieth (.360), Shea Graves (.316) and Sydney Rasmussen (.304).
• The Hornets are averaging 5.8 runs per game, and already have nine home runs and 49 RBIs.
• Sacramento State's pitching staff has a 4.83 ERA with 35 strikeouts in 58.0 innings. Jensen Main (3.06), Danielle Sperry (3.15) and Savanna Corr (4.11) have the top three ERAs on the staff.
• Sacramento State has allowed 16 unearned runs this season as the defense has struggled during the early going. The Hornets have 25 errors through nine games (.910 fielding percentage) after accounting for 46 errors in 51 games (.969 fielding percentage) a year ago.
• The Hornets are batting .321 with runners in scoring position, .324 with runners on base and .329 with two outs. Sacramento State has also done a nice job reaching base to lead off an inning. In 59 plate appearances to open an inning, Hornet hitters have reached base 29 times. That includes Alas, who has reached base eight times in 11 inning-opening plate appearances.
• Outfielder Suzy Brookshire hit her first home run of the year on Sunday, and 34th of her career. She is now just one homer shy of tying the school record for most career round trippers. Jamie Schloredt (2006-09) owns the record with 35 home runs. Brookshire is just nine games into her junior season.
• Spieth (first base) is the only Hornet to start all nine games at the same position.
• Sacramento State pinch runners have done a nice job thus far. In 19 pinch running appearances, the Hornets have scored nine times. Kayla Grubert has scored four times and has three stolen bases.
• Eight of Sacramento State's nine games have been decided by three runs or more. The only close game was a 6-5 loss to Central Florida on Sunday in Mexico. All three of the Hornets' wins have come by at least eight runs, including two mercy rule victories.
• Brookshire (106), Rasmussen (72), Spieth (63) and Alas (60) each have lengthy consecutive start streaks. Each of the four players started all 51 games a year ago.
• Sacramento State won both the Big Sky Conference regular season and tournament championships a year ago, and was unanimously selected to finish first in this year's preseason coaches poll.
May 16, 2019 CORR AND AUBERT NAMED NFCA ALL-PACIFIC REGION
April 26, 2019 SOFTBALL DROPS A PAIR TO PORTLAND STATE
April 22, 2019 AUBERT NAMED BIG SKY SOFTBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK
March 30, 2019 SOFTBALL DROPS A PAIR AT WEBER STATE
March 23, 2019 SOFTBALL DROPS SERIES FINALE TO SOUTHERN UTAH, 4-2
March 15, 2019 SOFTBALL BEGINS THE CAPITAL CLASSIC WITH A PAIR OF WINS
March 14, 2019 SOFTBALL FALLS AT HOME TO BUCKNELL, 1-0
March 12, 2019 SOFTBALL FALLS ON THE ROAD TO UC DAVIS, 4-0
March 11, 2019 MEJIA AND CORR NAMED BIG SKY SOFTBALL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
February 28, 2019 WINNERS OF THREE STRAIGHT, SOFTBALL TO PLAY IN THE UC RIVERSIDE CLASSIC
February 25, 2019 CORR NAMED BIG SKY PITCHER OF THE WEEK AFTER SWEEP OF LOYOLA MARYMOUNT
February 23, 2019 SOFTBALL SWEEPS HOME DOUBLEHEADER OVER LOYOLA MARYMOUNT
February 19, 2019 SOFTBALL HOSTS THREE-GAME SERIES THIS WEEKEND VS LOYOLA MARYMOUNT
February 17, 2019 SOFTBALL LOSES LATE LEAD, FALLS TO CENTRAL FLORIDA, 6-5
February 16, 2019 SOFTBALL DROPS A PAIR ON THE SECOND DAY OF THE PV COLLEGE CHALLENGE
February 13, 2019 SOFTBALL TRAVELS TO PUERTO VALLARTA FOR FOUR GAMES STARTING ON FRIDAY
February 9, 2019 HUGE INNING PROPELS SOFTBALL TO 14-6 WIN OVER SANTA CLARA
February 8, 2019 SOFTBALL SPLITS TWO GAMES ON FIRST DAY OF THE NORCAL KICKOFF
February 6, 2019 SOFTBALL HOSTS SEASON-OPENING TOURNAMENT FRIDAY THROUGH SUNDAY
November 16, 2018 SOFTBALL SIGNS BERTUCCIO, DAY AND ROBLES TO NATIONAL LETTERS OF INTENT
October 18, 2018 24 HOME GAMES HIGHLIGHT SOFTBALL’S 2019 SCHEDULE
September 10, 2018 MATTHIAS INVITED TO PLAY FOR THE CHINESE TAIPEI NATIONAL TEAM