Full set of game notes (8 pages) - pdf
NorCal Kickoff Tournament Home Page
• Sacramento State opens the 2019 season by co-hosting the NorCal Kickoff with UC Davis this Friday through Sunday, Feb. 8-10. The Hornets will host eight games over three days, and Sacramento State will play in five of those contests.
• The tournament field consists of Sacramento State, UC Davis, CSU Bakersfield, Montana, Nevada, Santa Clara and UC Santa Barbara. The Hornets will play each of their five games at home while UC Davis will play each of its five games at home.
• Sacramento State will play twice on both Friday and Saturday, and once on Sunday. The Hornets will play at noon all three days, and will also play at 2:30 p.m. on Friday and Saturday.
• Friday's schedule will include CSUB vs. UC Santa Barbara at 10 a.m., the Hornets vs. CSU Bakersfield at noon, and the Hornets vs. UC Santa Barbara at 2:30 p.m.
• On Saturday, Nevada takes on Santa Clara at 9:30 a.m., followed by the Hornets-Santa Clara at noon, and Hornets-Nevada at 2:30 p.m. Sunday will see Montana facing CSU Bakersfield at 9:30 a.m., followed by the Hornets vs. Bakersfield at noon.
• Friday will mark the season-opening games for every team at the tournament.
• Every Sacramento State game during the tournament can be viewed live and free via Pluto.TV channel 233. Live stats will be available for every game of the event. Check out the tournament home page for schedule, multimedia links for every game and ticket information.
• Sacramento State won both the Big Sky Conference regular season and tournament championships a year ago, and was unanimously selected to finish first in this year's preseason coaches poll.
• Sixth-year head coach Lori Perez will oversee a roster that features 14 returners from a year ago, including seven positional starters and two pitchers. The Hornets also welcome eight newcomers to the program, including a pair of transfers from Div. I institutions.
• Sacramento State finished 2018 with a 31-20 overall record and a 14-7 mark in the Big Sky. The team went undefeated at the Big Sky Tournament, and received an automatic berth to the NCAA Regionals, the Hornets' first NCAA postseason appearance since 2008. The conference championship was also the program's first title since winning the Pacific Coast Softball Conference in 2008.
• Among the 14 returners are four players that received all-conference accolades a year ago, including reigning Big Sky MVP and Big Sky Tournament MVP Suzy Brookshire. The outfielder will enter her junior season with 33 career home runs, already just two shy of the program record.
• Senior Nene Alas (second team all-league) also returns, as well as two players that received honorable mention all-league in senior Sydney Rasmussen and junior Mo Spieth.
• The Hornets return their entire starting outfield in left fielder Brookshire, center fielder Sydnee Strong and right fielder Alas. In the infield, Sacramento State returns starters at catcher (Jessica Scott), shortstop (Rasmussen) and first base (Spieth). Savanna Corr, who pitched over 100 innings in the circle a year ago, also returns.