Sacramento State (3-2) opens its home portion of the schedule on Tuesday when the team hosts Pacific (2-0) for a single game at 2:30 p.m. The Hornets then return to action later in the week when they travel to Saint Mary's (0-5) for a doubleheader on Saturday at noon. The Hornets and Gaels used to be rivals in the Pacific Coast Softball Conference, but Sacramento State switched leagues to the newly-formed Big Sky Conference this season.
Tuesday will mark one of just two home dates the Hornets will have during the first five weeks of the season, including a doubleheader on Feb. 27 against UC Davis.
Sacramento State opened its season last week at the Fresno State Kickoff where it posted a 3-2 record. The Hornets defeated both UTEP and Southern Miss by 3-2 scores, lost to UC Riverside, 2-1, and split its final games of the tournament against UC Davis (W, 2-1) and Fresno State (L, 3-2).
All 20 home games this season will be broadcast live via audio stream at www.hornetsports.com by clicking here. Nate Goodyear and Kyle Madson, who are both entering their fourth year calling Hornet softball, will handle the announcing duties again in 2013. In addition, live stats for all home games can be found by clicking here.
Sacramento State vs. Pacific
Tuesday, Feb. 12, at 2:30 p.m.
Shea Stadium - Sacramento, Calif.
Coverage: Live Audio, Live Stats
Series Record: Pacific Leads, 35-29
Last Meeting: L, 10-4, in Stockton (3/3/12)
Sacramento State at Saint Mary's
Saturday, Feb. 16, at Noon (Doubleheader)
Cottrell Field - Moraga, Calif.
Coverage: Live Stats
Series Record: Hornets Lead, 55-13
Last Meeting: L, 3-1, in Moraga (4/1/12)
• Sacramento State will be looking to win its home opener for the sixth time in seven years. Since joining the Div. I ranks in 1990, the Hornets are 17-6 in their home openers.
• Sacramento State took the field in Friday's season opener against UTEP with seven new positional starters. The only two returning starters from a year ago were third baseman Emily McCormick and center fielder Kelli Frye. New starters included Kortney Solis (C), Molly Smith (1B), Kayla Papez (2B), Yesenia Alcala (SS), Alexa Chattleton (LF) and Paige Martin (RF). Martin, Smith, Alcala and Chattleton all made starts last year, but did not finish the season as the starter at those respective positions.
• Through the first five games, Sacramento State pitchers Caitlin Brooks, Taylor Stroud and Kaitlyn Yerby have yet to allow a home run in 34.0 innings pitched. The staff currently has a 1.44 ERA, has not allowed more than two earned runs in any game, and opponents are hitting .250 with just five extra base hits (all doubles) in 128 at-bats. Brooks (2-0, 0.50 ERA), Yerby (0-1, 2.00 ERA) and Stroud (1-1, 2-15 ERA) could all be undefeated right now if not for a ball lost in the sun during Yerby's start against UC Riverside, and four errors behind Stroud in her 3-2 loss to Fresno State.
• The Hornets currently have four players hitting better than .300, comprised of freshman Alexis Martinez (.444), seniors Kelli Frye (.389) and Emily McCormick (.313), and junior Yesenia Alcala (.308). Martinez, McCormick and freshman Kortney Solis each have a home run and McCormick leads the squad with four RBIs. Although Sacramento State has a relatively low .240 batting average as a team, the Hornets are hitting .296 (8-for-27) with runners in scoring position. Six of the Hornets' nine RBIs this year have come with two outs in an inning.
• One things is for sure, Sacramento State is already used to playing nail-biting games despite the season being just a week old. All five games have been decided by one run thus far, which included a three-run seventh inning to beat Southern Miss, 3-2. The Hornets are now 14-8 in one-run outcomes dating back to last year.
• Senior center fielder Kelli Frye had her 10-game hitting streak snapped after she went hitless against UC Riverside. The hitting streak was a continuation of last year when she finished the season on an eight-game streak. The team tri-captain has hit safely in four of the five games thus far, and 27 of her last 31 games dating back to last year.
• With a home run and four RBIs last week, senior third baseman and team tri-captain Emily McCormick now has 18 home runs and 91 RBIs during her career. She is just one home and two RBIs shy of moving into second place in both categories in Sacramento State's career record book. Her .330 career batting average is also the fourth best mark in school history.
• Freshman Alexis Martinez, who is the team's shortest player at 5-foot-2, has started each of the last three games at designated player and has responded by hitting .500 (4-for-8) over that span with a run, walk, home run and two RBIs. She accounted for each of the Hornets' runs in the team's 2-1 victory over archrival UC Davis. Overall, she is hitting a team-high .444, which includes a pinch hitting appearance on Saturday against Southern Miss.
• Of the 17 players on Sacramento State's roster that have made an appearance in a game this season, 10 are underclassmen. That includes six freshmen ( Alexis Martinez, Kayla Papez, Kortney Solis, T.J. Watts, Alyssa Vanderdrink and Kaitlyn Yerby ) and four sophomores ( Paige Martin, Alexa Chattleton, Riley Price and Nicole Clark ).
July 3, 2013 HORNETS EARN 29 SPRING BIG SKY All-ACADEMIC HONORS
June 20, 2013 SOFTBALL SIGNS BALL STATE TRANSFER SASHA MARGULIES
May 31, 2013 SOFTBALL CAMP REGISTRATION AVAILABLE
April 26, 2013 SOFTBALL GAINS DOUBLEHEADER SPLIT AT PORTLAND STATE
April 24, 2013 HUGE SERIES THIS WEEK FOR SOFTBALL AT PORTLAND STATE
April 5, 2013 SOFTBALL SPLITS DOUBLEHEADER AT SOUTHERN UTAH
March 27, 2013 SOFTBALL FALLS AT HOME TO SAN JOSE STATE, 5-2
March 26, 2013 SOFTBALL FALLS AT SAN JOSE STATE
March 19, 2013 BROOKS NAMED BIG SKY PITCHER OF THE WEEK FOR THE FOURTH TIME
March 13, 2013 SOFTBALL HOSTS 21ST-ANNUAL CAPITAL CLASSIC THIS WEEK
March 12, 2013 SOFTBALL’S BROOKS AND MARTIN RECEIVE BIG SKY WEEKLY HONORS
March 8, 2013 SOFTBALL WINS FIFTH STRAIGHT AFTER BEATING NEVADA, 9-7
March 5, 2013 HARTMAN NAMED BIG SKY CONFERENCE PITCHER OF THE WEEK
March 2, 2013 SOFTBALL IMPROVES TO 7-5 WITH SWEEP OF SANTA CLARA
February 27, 2013 SOFTBALL EARNS DOUBLEHEADER SPLIT WITH UC DAVIS
February 19, 2013 CAITLIN BROOKS NAMED BIG SKY PITCHER OF THE WEEK AGAIN
February 18, 2013 SOFTBALL’S GAME AT SAN JOSE STATE ON TUESDAY CANCELLED
February 16, 2013 SOFTBALL EARNS SPLIT OF DOUBLEHEADER AT SAINT MARY’S
February 12, 2013 PACIFIC SCORES THREE SEVENTH-INNING RUNS IN 3-0 WIN OVER SOFTBALL
February 11, 2013 SOFTBALL HOSTS PACIFIC ON TUESDAY AT 2:30 P.M. IN HOME OPENER
February 8, 2013 SOFTBALL WINS SEASON OPENER, TAKES DOWN UTEP, 3-2
February 7, 2013 2013 SOFTBALL MEDIA GUIDE NOW AVAILABLE
February 6, 2013 SOFTBALL WALLPAPER IMAGES NOW AVAILABLE
February 5, 2013 SOFTBALL - 2013 SEASON OUTLOOK
December 7, 2012 NAKKEN AND BLAIR BOTH RECIPIENTS OF NFCA SCHOLAR-ATHLETE ACCOLADES
November 14, 2012 SOFTBALL SIGNS NIKKI GIALKETSIS AND SHELBY JOHNSTON TO LETTERS OF INTENT
September 27, 2012 WHERE ARE THEY NOW? FORMER SOFTBALL PLAYER ANDREA BECKER
July 9, 2012 NAKKEN NAMED THE PCSC SCHOLAR-ATHLETE OF THE YEAR