Big West Tournament Central
PISMO BEACH, Calif. -- Sacramento State began the double elimination Big West Conference Beach Volleyball Tournament with a 3-2 victory over CSUN, but fell later in the day to both fifth-ranked Long Beach State (4-1) and CSU Bakersfield (3-2). All three matches took place over a six-hour span at the six-team tournament at the Pismo Beach Sand Courts.
The Hornets, who began the tournament as the No. 5 seed, got off to a nice start after defeating No. 4 CSUN. However, Sacramento State had a tough time against No. 1 seed Long Beach State and No. 6 CSU Bakersfield.
With the two losses, Sacramento State was eliminated from the tournament and its season comes to an end with an 8-11 overall record. The eight wins are the most in the five-year history of the program, and included victories over Santa Clara, Boise State, Cal Poly, San Francisco and San Jose State. The wins over Cal Poly and Boise State came after the Hornets had lost to both teams earlier in the season.
Of the Hornets' 11 losses, five came against nationally ranked opposition. Sacramento State had also won a program-record four straight matches prior to its two losses this afternoon.
In today's matches, Sacramento State's doubles teams of Madeline Cannon/Morgan Stanley at No. 2, Lana Brown/Hannah Meadows at No. 4 and Courtney Dietrich/Brigitte Murdock at No. 5 all went 2-1, but it was not enough. Perhaps the most impressive victory of the day came at No. 2 when Cannon/Stanley defeated fifth-ranked Long Beach State's team of Sasha Karelov and Kobi Pekich, 30-28, 21-19.
The Hornets' Brie Gathright and Lexie Skalbeck (No. 1) and Kennedy Kurtz/Sarah Davis (No 3) both went winless during the day. In the win over CSUN, Stanley/Cannon (21-15, 21-15), Brown/Meadows (22-20, 17-21, 15-11) and Dietrich/Murdock (21-15, 22-20) were each victorious.
Sacramento State's doubles teams of Cannon/Stanley (8-10), Brown/Meadows (6-5) and Dietrich/Murdock (7-7) each posted at least six victories this season. Brown and Meadows went 6-3 in the No. 4 spot of the team's lineup. Records for every doubles teams this season can be found by clicking here.
The Hornets' volleyball program will now set its sights on the 2017 indoor season which begins on Aug. 25 at a tournament hosted by St. John's in Queens, N.Y. Sacramento State is the defending Big Sky Conference South Division champions.
Sacramento State 3, CSUN 2
1. Katie Sato/Julie Haake (CSUN) def. Lexie Skalbeck/Brie Gathright (SAC) 18-21, 21-19, 15-8
2. Morgan Stanley/Madeline Cannon (SAC) def. Nickeisha Williams/Maddie Leiphardt (CSUN) 21-15, 21-15
3. Aeryn Owens/Erin Indermill (CSUN) def. Kennedy Kurtz/Sarah Davis (SAC) 21-10, 21-16
4. Lana Brown/Hannah Meadows (SAC) def. Kristey Markle/Autumn Russell (CSUN) 22-20, 17-21, 15-11
5. Courtney Dietrich/Brigitte Murdock (SAC) def. Nico Stark/Nic Pinkney (CSUN) 21-15, 22-20
#5 Long Beach State 4, Sacramento State 1
1. Nele Barber/Rachel Nieto (LBSU) def. Lexie Skalbeck/Brie Gathright (SAC) 21-9, 21-15
2. Madeline Cannon/Morgan Stanley (SAC) def. Sasha Karelov/Kobi Pekich (LBSU) 30-28, 21-19
3. Hailey Harward/Anete Brinke (LBSU) def. Kennedy Kurtz/Sarah Davis (SAC) 21-9, 21-18
4. Morea Wagner/Heather Weiss (LBSU) def. Lana Brown/Hannah Meadows (SAC) 21-11, 21-8
5. Jenelle Hudson/Megan Kruidhof (LBSU) def. Courtney Dietrich/Brigitte Murdock (SAC) 21-10, 21-16
CSU Bakersfield 3, Sacramento State 2
1. Carol Grasso/Sara Little (CSUB) def. Lexie Skalbeck/Brie Gathright (SAC) 21-11, 16-21, 15-9
2. Sarah Garrow/Ashley Prater (CSUB) def. Madeline Cannon/Morgan Stanley (SAC) 21-15, 21-16
3. Madi Busler/Jocelyn Rodriguez (CSUB) def. Kennedy Kurtz/Sarah Davis (SAC) 21-12, 6-21, 15-9
4. Hannah Meadows/Lana Brown (SAC) def. Kayla Tinker/Ally Barber (CSUB) 21-13, 21-16
5. Courtney Dietrich/Brigitte Murdock (SAC) def. Hannah Manzanares/Fabiana Andrade (CSUB) 21-13, 22-24, 15-10
April 13, 2017 BEACH VOLLEYBALL FALLS TO OREGON AND WASHINGTON
March 18, 2017 BEACH VOLLEYBALL FALLS AT 11TH-RANKED CAL, 4-1