HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. -- Sacramento State dropped matches to CSUN and Cal Poly, and was eliminated from the inaugural Big West Conference Beach Volleyball Championship at the Beach Boulevard Courts.
The Hornets opened the tournament this morning with a 4-1 loss to CSUN, and was placed into the losers bracket where they were eliminated from the tourney in the afternoon by Cal Poly, 4-1.
All six beach volleyball playing schools in the Big West are participating in the two-day event. Last summer, the Big West announced the addition of beach volleyball as the conference's 17th-sponsored sport. Four Big West institutions currently field beach volleyball teams including Cal Poly, CSUN, Long Beach State and Hawai'i. CSU Bakersfield and Sacramento State joined the conference as associate members in beach volleyball, giving the league the minimum six teams required for postseason NCAA automatic qualification.
Sacramento State, which was the No. 6 seed for the tournament, sees its season come to a close. The Hornets finish the year with a 1-21 record. CSUN improved to 7-12 and advanced to the second round to play No. 2 seed Long Beach State. Cal Poly (10-11) advanced to the second round of the losers bracket.
The Hornets' No. 1 doubles team of Madeline Cannon and Sloan Lovett had an impressive day, winning both of their matches. That included victories over CSUN's Katie Sato and Lauren Conati, 21-15, 22-24, 15-13, before coming back in the afternoon to defeat Cal Poly's Casey Carroll and Jacqui Martin, 23-21, 21-16.
Cannon/Lovett played all 22 matches at the No. 1 spot in the team's lineup, and won four of their last seven matches of the season.
For complete results and records of all Sacramento State doubles teams this season, please click here.
Cal State Northridge 4, Sacramento State 1
1. Madeline Cannon/Sloan Lovett (SAC) def. Katie Sato/Lauren Conati (CSUN) 21-15, 22-24, 15-13
2. Julie Haake/Maddie Leiphardt (CSUN) def. Morgan Stanley/Lauren Aikels (SAC) 21-18, 21-15
3. Erin Indermill/Aeryn Owens (CSUN) def. Lexie Skalbeck/Lana Brown (SAC) 22-20, 15-21, 15-9
4. Kristey Markle/Rachel Gam (CSUN) def. Brie Gathright/Hannah Meadows (SAC) 21-16, 21-14
5. Nicolette Pinkney/Rachel Diaz (CSUN) def. Kennedy Kurtz/Brigitte Murdock (SAC) 21-19, 21-15
Cal Poly 4, Sacramento State 1
1. Madeline Cannon/Sloan Lovett (SAC) def. Casey Carroll/Jacqui Martin (CP) 23-21, 21-16
2. Taylor Nelson/Andlee Van Winden (CP) def. Morgan Stanley/Lauren Aikels (SAC) 21-14, 21-18
3. Anna Gorman/Savannah Niemen (CP) def. Lana Brown/Lexie Skalbeck (SAC) 21-14, 21-11
4. Katherine Brouker/Raeann Greisen (CP) def. Hannah Meadows/Brie Gathright (SAC) 21-10, 21-15
5. Dora Beilin/Shannon Fouts (CP) def. Brigitte Murdock/Kennedy Kurtz (SAC) 16-21, 21-14, 15-5
August 22, 2016 HORNET STUDENT-ATHLETES EARN 93 SPRING ALL-ACADEMIC HONORS
April 15, 2016 BEACH VOLLEYBALL DROPS A 4-1 HOME DECISION TO BOISE STATE
April 6, 2016 BEACH VOLLEYBALL DROPS ROAD MATCH AT SAINT MARY’S, 4-1
March 19, 2016 BEACH VOLLEYBALL DROPS A PAIR TO CAL AND SAN JOSE STATE
March 10, 2016 BEACH VOLLEYBALL FALLS TO 18TH-RANKED PACIFIC, 4-1
January 29, 2016 INAUGURAL BIG WEST TOURNAMENT TO BE PLAYED IN LONG BEACH
January 29, 2016 BEACH VOLLEYBALL MOVES ITS HOME FACILITY TO FOLSOM’S LIVERMORE PARK