BERKELEY, Calif. -- The Hornets doubles teams of Katie Aprile / Kayla Beal, and Lexie Skalbeck / Courtney Dietrich were victorious in both their matches to lead Sacramento State to 3-2 victories over California and Cal Poly today.
The Hornets, who made a number of switches to their doubles lineups today, won their first two matches of the season while improving to 2-6. Three of those first six losses were by 3-2 scores before the Hornets were able to win a pair of tight matches today.
Sacramento State, which is in its second year of sponsoring sand volleyball, is now 3-1 all-time against Cal. Two of those victories came last season, and each of the four matches between the two teams have been decided by 3-2 outcomes.
After using the same doubles lineups during the first six matches of the season, Sacramento State co-head coaches Ruben Volta and Jason Borchin switched things up today. Four of the Hornets' five doubles teams were changed, and the switch certainly paid off.
The only thing that didn't change was the No. 1 squad of Beal and Aprile. Skalbeck and Dietrich played for the first time as partners and came through with wins at No. 5 in both matches. Other new pairs came at No. 2 (Madeline Cannon and Sloan Lovett), No. 3 (Lauren Aikels and Chelcy Motes) and No. 4 (Morgan Stanley and Kendall LaVine).
With the score tied at 2-2, the match came down to the No. 1 slot where Aprile and Beal were victorious in three sets over Lara Vukasovic and Sarah Cole, 21-16, 18-21, 15-12.
Sacramento State also got a victory at No. 4 from Stanley and LaVine, who won handily, 21-14, 21-13.
The Hornets had yet to get a victory from the No. 5 spot in the lineup all year until the newly formed partnership of Skalbeck and Dietrich secured their first victory of the day, 9-21, 21-13, 15-7.
vs. Cal Poly
Trailing, 2-1, and heading to the final two matches of the afternoon at No. 1 and No. 2, Sacramento State needed to win both matches and that's exactly what happened. Beal and Aprile won their match over Nicole Kessler and Megan Groess, 21-17, 21-11, and Cannon and Lovett provided the clincher at No. 2 with a 21-17, 21-19 victory.
Skalbeck and Dietrich earned the Hornets' first victory of the match at No. 5 after squeaking out a 21-18, 6-21, 19-17 win.
The Hornets return to action for two more matches tomorrow. This time, the team will travel to Stockton to play Pacific at 9 a.m., and Stanford at noon.
Sacramento State 3, California 2
1. Kayla Beal / Katie Aprile (SAC) def. Lara Vukasovic / Sarah Cole (CAL), 21-16, 18-21, 15-12
2. Adrienne Gehan / Joan Caloiaro (CAL) def. Madeline Cannon / Sloan Lovett (SAC), 21-19, 21-17
3. Nikki Gombar / Maddy Kerr (CAL) def. Lauren Aikels / Chelcy Motes (SAC), 21-6, 21-11
4. Morgan Stanley / Kendall LaVine (SAC) def. Katarina Milosavljevic / Sabrina Blackwell (CAL), 21-14, 21-13
5. Lexie Skalbeck / Courtney Dietrich (SAC) def. Emily Lunt / Katie Curci (CAL), 9-21, 21-13, 15-7
Sacramento State 3, Cal Poly 2
1. Kayla Beal / Katie Aprile (SAC) def. Nicole Kessler / Megan Groess (CP), 21-17, 21-11
2. Madeline Cannon / Sloan Lovett (SAC) def. Jennifer Keddy / Katie Conroy (CP), 21-17, 21-19
3. Kate Walters / Hannah Schleis (CP) def. Lauren Aikels / Chelcy Motes (SAC), 21-16, 24-22
4. Shannon Fouts / Taylor Gruenewald (CP) def. Morgan Stanley / Kendall LaVine (SAC), 21-16, 21-8
5. Lexie Skalbeck / Courtney Dietrich (SAC) def. Stacia Williams / Anna Gorman (CP), 21-18, 6-21, 19-17
September 26, 2014 SACRAMENTO STATE WOMEN’S ATHLETICS TO HOST OKTOBERFEST ON OCT. 4
April 12, 2014 SAND VOLLEYBALL DEFEATS BOTH CALIFORNIA AND CAL POLY
April 5, 2014 SAND VOLLEYBALL FALLS TO BOTH CAL AND SANTA CLARA
April 4, 2014 SAND VOLLEYBALL FALLS TO CAL POLY AND SAN FRANCISCO
January 24, 2014 VOLLEYBALL ADDS DIV. I TRANSFER AND LOCAL PRODUCT MADELINE CANNON