SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- The Hornet sand volleyball squad wrapped up the three-day Sacramento State Invitational with a 3-2 loss to Boise State on Sunday afternoon at the Sacramento Softball Complex.
The Hornets, who are in their second year of existence in the sand volleyball ranks, went 0-5 at the tournament. Three of those losses came by 3-2 scores to Cal Poly, California and Boise State. The other defeats came against San Francisco (4-1) and Santa Clara (5-0). Sacramento State played twice on Friday, and twice more yesterday.
The Hornets (0-6 overall) return to the sand next weekend for a pair of matches on Saturday in Berkeley against Cal and Cal Poly, and two more on Sunday in Stockton against Pacific and Stanford.
Today, the Hornets got victories from the No. 1 doubles team of Kayla Beal and Katie Aprile (21-18, 18-21, 15-13), and the No. 3 team of Madeline Cannon and Morgan Stanley (21-15, 21-7). At No. 2, Sloan Lovett and Lauren Aikels were locked in a tight match with Boise State's Sarah Horton and Laney Hayes, but lost, 21-19, 22-20.
The Hornets' No. 4 doubles team of Lexie Skalbeck and Chelcy Motes (21-9, 21-14), and No. 5 Courtney Dietrich and Kendall LaVine (21-14, 21-18) also lost.
Boise State 3, Sacramento State 2
1. Kayla Beal / Katie Aprile (SAC) def. Alyssa Gammel / Brittany Reardon (BSU), 21-18, 18-21, 15-13
2. Sarah Horton / Laney Hayes (BSU) def. Sloan Lovett / Lauren Aikels (SAC), 21-19, 22-20
3. Madeline Cannon / Morgan Stanley (SAC) def. Kaitlyn Oliver / Sarah Baugh (BSU), 21-15, 21-17
4. Casey Rose / Taylor Murphey (BSU) def. Lexie Skalbeck / Chelcy Motes (SAC), 21-9, 21-14
5. Aly Duffin / Katelyn Kinghorn (BSU) def. Courtney Dietrich / Kendall LaVine (SAC), 21-14, 21-18
September 26, 2014 SACRAMENTO STATE WOMEN’S ATHLETICS TO HOST OKTOBERFEST ON OCT. 4
April 12, 2014 SAND VOLLEYBALL DEFEATS BOTH CALIFORNIA AND CAL POLY
April 5, 2014 SAND VOLLEYBALL FALLS TO BOTH CAL AND SANTA CLARA
April 4, 2014 SAND VOLLEYBALL FALLS TO CAL POLY AND SAN FRANCISCO
January 24, 2014 VOLLEYBALL ADDS DIV. I TRANSFER AND LOCAL PRODUCT MADELINE CANNON