SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- For the second time in less than a month, the Sacramento State sand volleyball squad beat Cal by a 3-2 score Saturday afternoon at the Sacramento Softball Complex.
The Hornets, who improved to 2-4 with the victory, have now played 3-2 outcomes in five of their six matches thus far. On March 16, Sacramento State won its first-ever sand volleyball match by a 3-2 score over the Golden Bears. Since then, the Hornets had fallen at home to San Francisco (3-2), Pacific (3-2), Stanford (3-2) and Saint Mary's (5-0).
Cal dropped to 1-3 this season with the loss.
Today also marked the final home match of the season for the Hornets as they wrap up the sand season next Sunday (April 21) at Stanford when they will play both San Francisco (noon) and Stanford (3 p.m.).
Sacramento State got wins today from the doubles tandems of Kayla Beal and Katie Aprile (21-6, 21-12 at No. 2), Sloan Lovett and Lauren Aikels (21-16, 21-16 at No. 4), and Kelsey Elston and Breanne Menees (22-20, 21-19 at No. 5).
For Beal/Aprile, it marked their fifth win of the season as the tandem is now a team-best 5-1 this year. The win was also the second of the season against Cal for Menees/Elston.
Cal's victories came against Sacramento State's Jessie Genger and Sydney Kordic at No. 1 (21-17, 21-15) and Hannah Hettinga and Katelyn Ivy at No. 3 (21-19, 21-6).
Next week's matches against San Francisco and Stanford will mark the first time all season the Hornets will play away from their home sand at the Sacramento Softball Complex.
1. Jessie Genger / Sydney Kordic (SAC) lost to Lindsey Parrott / Joan Caloiaro, 17-21, 15-21
2. Kayla Beal / Katie Aprile (SAC) def. Kat Brown / Katarina Milosavljevic 21-6, 21-12
3. Hannah Hettinga / Katelyn Ivy (SAC) lost to Adrienne Gehan / Lara Vukasovic, 19-21, 6-21
4. Sloan Lovett / Lauren Aikels (SAC) def. Mary McKennon / Alyssa Jensen, 21-16, 21-16
5. Kelsey Elston / Breanne Menees (SAC) def. Christina Higgens / Janelle Jordan, 22-20, 21-19