STANFORD, Calif. -- The Sacramento State sand volleyball team dropped its final two matches of the season to San Francisco (3-2) and Stanford (4-1) on Sunday afternoon at the ACSR Sand Volleyball Courts.
The Hornets conclude their inaugural sand season at 2-6, but that record doesn't tell the whole story. Sacramento State played opponents close in nearly every match, as six of the team's eight outcomes were decided by 3-2 scores. The Hornets were 2-4 in those outcomes, including a heartbreaker to Stanford earlier this season at home where Sacramento State had multiple opportunities to win.
Both victories came against a Cal squad that qualified for the NCAA Tournament during the fall indoor season, and the Hornets had close losses against Pacific, Stanford and San Francisco. In fact, the Hornets fell to USF by 3-2 scores on two occasions this season.
In today's opener against San Francisco (4-3), the Hornets received victories from the tandems of Lauren Aikels and Sloan Lovett at No. 4 (22-20, 17-21, 15-4) and Hannah Hettinga and Katelyn Ivy at No. 3 (21-15, 18-21, 15-13) to tie the match at 2-2 heading into the final doubles match of the contest. Katie Aprile and Kayla Beal, who were moved up to No. 1 in the team's lineup after playing all season at No. 2, brought a 5-1 season record into their matchup, but fell to USF's No. 1 team by a 21-13, 21-19 score. That gave the Dons the 3-2 victory and their second win of the season against the Hornets.
Against Stanford (6-1), the Hornets received their lone win from Hettinga/Ivy at No. 3 by a 22-24, 21-18, 15-11 score. Jessie Genger and Sydney Kordic forced a third set in their match at No. 2 but lost, 21-15, 18-21, 15-8, and the other three matches were straight set wins for Stanford.
Today marked the first time all year Sacramento State played away from home as each of the team's first six matches came at the Sacramento Softball Complex.
FINAL HORNET DOUBLES RECORDS
San Francisco 3, Sacramento State 2 (opponent names not available)
1. Katie Aprile / Kayla Beal lost, 21-13, 21-19
2. Jessie Genger / Sydney Kordic lost, 21-17, 21-12
3. Hannah Hettinga / Katelyn Ivy won, 21-15, 18-21, 15-13
4. Lauren Aikels / Sloan Lovett won, 22-20, 17-21, 15-4
5. Breanne Menees / Chelcy Motes lost 21-17, 21-10
Stanford 4, Sacramento State 1
1. Brittany Howard / Carly Wopat (Stan) def. Katie Aprile / Kayla Beal (SAC), 21-16, 21-13
2. Jordan Burgess / Rachel Williams (Stan) def. Jessie Genger / Sydney Kordic (SAC), 21-15, 18-21, 15-8
3. Hannah Hettinga / Katelyn Ivy (SAC) def. Madi Bugg / Kyle Gilbert (Stan), 22-24, 21-18, 15-11
4. Inky Ajanaku / Mary Ellen Luck (Stan) def. Lauren Aikels / Sloan Lovett (SAC), 21-19, 21-17
5. Lydia Bai / Megan McGehee (Stan) def. Breanne Menees / Chelcy Motes (SAC), 21-12, 21-16
April 21, 2013 SAND VOLLEYBALL DROPS FINAL TWO MATCHES OF THE SEASON
April 13, 2013 SAND VOLLEYBALL KNOCKS OFF CAL FOR THE SECOND TIME
March 23, 2013 SAND VOLLEYBALL DROPS A 3-2 DECISION TO PACIFIC
March 22, 2013 SAND VOLLEYBALL DROPS NAIL BITER TO SAN FRANCISCO
March 16, 2013 SAND VOLLEYBALL BEATS CAL, WINS FIRST-EVER MATCH
March 14, 2013 SAND VOLLEYBALL’S FIRST-EVER MATCH ON TAP FOR SATURDAY