LOS ANGELES, Calif. — USC's Roberto Quiroz, Max de Vroome and Jonny Wang each posted straight set victories to help lead the fourth-ranked Trojans to a 4-0 victory over Sacramento State in the first round of the NCAA Men's Tennis Championship Friday afternoon at Marks Tennis Stadium.
Sacramento State, which concludes its season with a 17-13 record, was making its 10th NCAA Tournament appearance in the last 15 years. The Hornets earned an automatic berth into the postseason event after winning the Big Sky Conference Tournament two weeks ago.
USC, which is ranked fourth in the nation and drew the No. 4 seed in the 64-team tournament field, improved to 24-4 with the victory. The Trojans will now take on San Diego (18-9) in the second round of the tournament tomorrow at 3 p.m. San Diego defeated Alabama earlier today, 4-3, in a match that lasted four and a half hours.
The Hornets and Trojans were facing each other in the first round of the NCAA Tournament for the second time in three years (2011). Since joining the Div. I ranks in 1991-92, Sacramento State and USC have faced each other four times with the Trojans winning on each of those occasions.
Amazingly, five of the six Trojan singles players have national rankings from the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA), including three players ranked among the top 45 players in the nation. That included Quiroz (No. 36) who beat at No. 3 by a 7-5, 6-0 score. Max de Vroome beat the Hornets' at No. 5 (6-1, 6-1), and Jonny Wang, ranked 98th, defeated (6-0, 6-2) at No. 6.
USC won the doubles point with victories at Nos. 2 and 3 doubles.
The Hornets' , who is ranked 117th in the nation, took 16th-ranked Ray Sarmiento to a tiebreaker in the first set before that match was halted because USC already had the necessary four points for victory. (No. 2) and (No. 4) also had their matches stopped prematurely.
Marksoo, Kolar, Brandys and Miller are all sophomores and Ram is a redshirt freshman. In fact, the Hornets used at least five underclassmen in their singles lineup in every match this season.
Sacramento State was making its 10th NCAA Tournament appearance (1999, 2001-03, 2007, 2009-13) since joining the Div. I ranks. In addition, the team has won 11 Big Sky Tournament titles in the last 16 years (1998-99, 2001-03, 2007, 2009-13).
May 10, 2013 at Los Angels, Calif.
(Marks Tennis Stadium)
#4 USC 4, Sacramento State 0
1. #16 Ray Sarmiento (USC) vs. #117 MARKSOO, Marek (SAC) 7-6 (7-5), unfinished
2. #45 Yannick Hanfmann (USC) vs. MALKO, Aliaksandr (SAC) 6-2, 5-4, unfinished
3. #36 Roberto Quiroz (USC) def. BRANDYS, Roy (SAC) 7-5, 6-0
4. #90 Eric Johnson (USC) vs. KOLAR, Sean (SAC) 6-4, 2-1, unfinished
5. Max de Vroome (USC) def. RAM, Niranjan (SAC) 6-1, 6-1
6. #98 Jonny Wang (USC) def. MILLER, Tom (SAC) 6-0, 6-2
1. #37 Yannick Hanfmann/Ray Sarmiento (USC) vs. MALKO, Aliaksandr/MARKSOO, Marek (SAC) 7-3, unfinished
2. Eric Johnson/Max de Vroome (USC) def. KOLAR, Sean/BRANDYS, Roy (SAC) 8-4
3. Roberto Quiroz/Michael Grant (USC) def. MILLER, Tom/RAAG, Henrik (SAC) 8-3
Sacramento State 17-13
USC 24-4; National ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (5,6,3)