GOLD RIVER, Calif. — Sacramento State's Aliaksandr Malko, Sean Kolar and Niranjan Ram each posted straight-set victories to lead the Hornets to a 4-0 win over Weber State in the semifinals of the Big Sky Conference Men's Tennis Tournament on Saturday afternoon at the Gold River Racquet Club.
The other three singles matches that had yet to finish were halted because Sacramento State already had the necessary four points for victory.
With the victory, Sacramento State (16-12) has now won 12 of its last 15 matches and will have an opportunity to win the Big Sky Tournament championship tomorrow when the team faces No. 3 seed Montana at 10 a.m. The winner of tomorrow's match will receive an automatic berth into the NCAA Tournament. Montana advanced to the championship after defeating No. 2 seed Montana State this morning by a 4-0 score. Weber State finished its season with an 11-12 record.
The Hornets, who earned the No. 1 seed at the tournament after sharing the league's regular season title with Montana State, will look to qualify for the NCAA Div. I Tournament for the 10th time in school history. Since joining Big Sky in 1996-97, the Hornets have won 11 regular season titles (1998-99, 2001-03, 2007-11, 2013), and will look for their 11th tournament championship (1998-99, 2001-03, 2007, 2009-12) tomorrow.
Sacramento State got things started today by winning two of the three doubles matches to earn the doubles point. The doubles teams of Marek Marksoo and Malko won at No. 1 by an 8-3 score, and Tom Miller and Henrik Raag at No. 3 were victorious by an 8-2 score.
In singles play, Malko defeated Toff Dought (6-3, 6-1) at No. 2 to give the Hornets a 2-0 lead. Kolar then won his match at No. 4 (6-4, 6-0), and Ram followed with a 6-1, 6-3 victory at No. 5 to complete the 4-0 victory.
Sacramento State, which went 9-1 in conference play this year, has now won each of its last seven matches against a Big Sky opponent. That includes a 6-1 home win over Montana on April 1.
Live stats will be available for tomorrow's championship match inside the tournament home page by clicking here.
Weber State vs Sacramento State
Apr 27, 2013 at Gold River, Calif.
(Gold River Racquet Club)
Sacramento State 4, Weber State 0
1. #117 MARKSOO, Marek (SAC) vs. GEWERT, Jakub (WSU) unfinished
2. MALKO, Aliaksandr (SAC) def. FOUGHT, Todd (WSU) 6-3, 6-1
3. BRANDYS, Roy (SAC) vs. GOOD, Oliver (WSU) unfinished
4. KOLAR, Sean (SAC) def. POITENA, Caio (WSU) 6-4, 6-0
5. RAM, Niranjan (SAC) def. GOSWAMI, Sanjay (WSU) 6-1, 6-3
6. MILLER, Tom (SAC) vs. GARNER, Ryan (WSU) unfinished
1. MARKSOO, Marek/MALKO, Aliaksandr (SAC) def. GOOD, Oliver/POITENA, Caio (WSU) 8-3
2. KOLAR, Sean/BRANDYS, Roy (SAC) vs. GOSWAMI, Sanjay/FOUGHT, Todd (WSU) unfinished
3. MILLER, Tom/RAAG, Henrik (SAC) def. GARNER, Ryan/TRABERT, Anthony (WSU) 8-2
Weber State 11-12
Sacramento State 16-12
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (2,4,5)