MEN’S TENNIS POSTS 4-3 COMEBACK WIN AT LOYOLA MARYMOUNT
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Trailing, 3-2, Sacramento State got three-set victories from sophomores Tom Miller and Marek Marksoo to defeat Loyola Marymount, 4-3, in a non-conference men's tennis match Sunday afternoon at the LMU Tennis Center.
With the victory, the Hornets (9-10) have now won six of their last eight matches, and completed a five-match road trip with a 4-1 record. Sacramento State has made a habit of playing close matches this season as the team is now 5-8 in competitions that were decided by 4-3 or 5-2 outcomes. The Lions dropped to 2-13 with the loss.
Miller had to save four match points when he trailed 5-4 in his third set before coming back to win the match, 6-7, 6-4, 7-5. That victory tied things at 3-3, and set up Marksoo's dramatic win at No. 1 singles. Marksoo, who has now won 11 straight singles matches, pulled a back muscle in the first set of his match before gutting out the victory by a 4-6, 6-2, 6-4 score.
Marksoo is now 14-3 this season in singles play, including 13-2 when playing at the No. 1 position in the team's lineup. Miller is now 11-8 in singles play.
Also victorious for Sacramento State was Aliaksandr Malko at No. 2 by a 6-3, 6-2 score. The Hornet doubles tandems of Sean Kolar and Roy Brandys (8-1 at No. 2), and Henrik Raag and Miller (8-1 at No. 3) were both victorious to give Sacramento State what proved to be a very important doubles point.
The Hornets will jump back into conference play next week when the team hosts a doubleheader against Big Sky rivals North Dakota (10 a.m.) and Northern Colorado (3 p.m.) on Saturday. Sacramento State is 4-1 in conference play thus far, and has five additional league matches remaining on the schedule.
Sacramento State vs Loyola Marymount
Mar 24, 2013 at Los Angeles, Calif.
(LMU Tennis Center)
Sacramento State 4, Loyola Marymount 3
1. MARKSOO, Marek (SAC) def. Othar Kordsachia (LMU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
2. MALKO, Aliaksandr (SAC) def. Todd Volmari (LMU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Nicholas Bjerke (LMU) def. BRANDYS, Roy (SAC) 7-5, 7-5
4. Sebastian Bustamante (LMU) def. KOLAR, Sean (SAC) 6-3, 0-6, 6-4
5. Cristobal Rivera (LMU) def. RAM, Niranjan (SAC) 6-1, 6-4
6. MILLER, Tom (SAC) def. Felix Van Kann (LMU) 6-7, 6-4, 7-5
1. Othar Kordsachia/Felix Van Kann (LMU) vs. MARKSOO, Marek/MALKO, Aliaksandr (SAC) unfinished
2. KOLAR, Sean/BRANDYS, Roy (SAC) def. Todd Volmari/Sebastian Bustamante (LMU) 8-1
3. MILLER, Tom/RAAG, Henrik (SAC) def. Nicholas Bjerke/Cristobal Rivera (LMU) 8-1
Sacramento State 9-10
Loyola Marymount 2-13
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (2,5,3,4,6,1)