HONOLULU — Marek Marksoo and Niranjan Ram each won singles matches but the Sacramento State men's tennis team came up short in a 5-2 loss at Hawai'i on Sunday afternoon.
The loss dropped the Hornets to 1-3 while the Warriors improved to 2-2.
UH claimed the first point of the match with a pair of wins in doubles play. The tandem of Jared Spiker and Danilo Casanova defeated Sean Kolar and Tom Miller, 8-5, at No. 2. Chas Okamoto and David Schuster teamed to beat Roy Brandys and Ram, 8-4, at No. 3. The No. 1 doubles match was not completed.
In singles play, Spiker downed Kolar, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 3 before Sacramento State picked up its first point behind a 6-1, 6-3, win from Ram at No. 6 over Schuster.
From that point, the Warriors won the three matches beginning with a 7-5, 6-4 win by Casanova over Miller at No. 5. Okamoto and Brandys went to three sets at No. 4 before UH claimed a 6-1, 2-6, 6-1 win.
The final two singles matches both were long affairs and were split by the two teams. Dmytro Kovalyov outlasted Aliaskandr Malko, 6-3, 4-6, 7-6 (10-8) at No. 2. The lone singles win by the Hornets was at the top spot in the ladder where Marek Marksoo defeated Jonathan Brooklyn, 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (7-4). The victory improved Marskoo to 3-1 on the year and 2-0 at No. 1.
Sacramento State will have a three-week layoff before playing at San Francisco on Feb. 10.
Hawai`i 5, Sacramento State 2
1. Marek Marksoo (SAC) def. Jonathan Brooklyn (UH) 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (7-4)
2. Dmytro Kovalyov (UH) def. Aliaksandr Malko (SAC) 6-3, 4-6, 7-6 (10-8)
3. Jared Spiker (UH) def. Sean Kolar (SAC) 6-1, 6-2
4. Chas Okamoto (UH) def. Roy Brandys (SAC) 6-1, 2-6, 6-1
5. Danilo Casanova (UH) def. Tom Miller (SAC) 7-5, 6-4
6. Niranjan Ram(SAC) def. David Schuster (UH) 6-1, 6-3
1. Jonathan Brooklyn/Dmytro Kovalyov (UH) vs. Marek Marksoo/ Aliaksandr Malko (SAC) 6-5, unfinished
2. Jared Spiker/Danilo Casanova (UH) def. Sean Kolar/ Tom Miller(SAC) 8-5
3. Chas Okamoto/David Schuster (UH) def. Roy Brandys/ Niranjan Ram (SAC) 8-4
Sacramento State 1-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (3,6,5,4,2,1)