STANFORD, Calif. — Using a lineup that consisted of four sophomores and a redshirt freshman, Sacramento State kept things close in a number of matches before eventually falling at 10th-ranked Stanford, 7-0, in a non-conference men's tennis match Tuesday afternoon at the Taube Family Stadium.
The match marked the season opener for both teams as Stanford is currently 10th in the nation in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association's (ITA) preseason rankings.
The score was a lot closer than the final 7-0 outcome suggested as the Hornets nearly won the doubles point, saw two of their singles matches go to three sets, and another singles contest conclude in a 6-4, 6-4 outcome. Of the six players that saw action today for the Hornets, five were underclassmen.
In the doubles portion of the match, the team's lone senior, Aliaksandr Malko, teamed with sophomore Marek Marksoo where the tandem nearly beat Stanford's John Morrisey and Matt Kandath before falling, 8-6, in the No. 1 slot. At No. 2, Hornet sophomores Tom Miller and Sean Kolar took the Cardinal's Jamin Ball and Trey Stobel to the wire before falling in a tiebreaker, 7-5. Ball and Stobel are currently the 57th-ranked doubles team in the nation by the ITA.
In singles play, Marksoo, who was playing at No. 2, won his first set, 6-0, before falling by 6-3 scores in the second and third sets to Kandath. At No. 4, sophomore Roy Brandys split the first two sets with Stobel, 4-6, 6-3, before losing in a super tiebreaker by a 10-8 score. Miller, who was playing at No. 5, fell to Maciek Romanowicz by a 6-4, 6-4 score.
Malko fell at No. 1 to 39th-ranked Morrisey, 6-1, 6-3, Nolan Paige beat Kolar at No. 3 (6-3, 6-1) and redshirt freshman Niranjan Ram fell at No. 6 by a 6-3, 6-1 score.
The Hornets return to action later this week as they play three times over three days in Honolulu. Sacramento State will take on Hawai'i Pacific on Friday, UC Irvine on Saturday, and Hawai'i on Sunday. After Sunday's matchup with Hawai'i, the Hornets do not play again until Feb. 10.
Stanford vs Sacramento State
Jan 15, 2013 at Stanford, Calif.
(Taube Family Stadium)
#10 Stanford 7, Sacramento State 0
1. #39 MORRISEY, John (STAN) def. MALKO, Aliaksandr (SAC) 6-1, 6-3
2. KANDATH, Matt (STAN) def. MARKSOO, Marek (SAC) 0-6, 6-3, 6-3
3. PAIGE, Nolan (STAN) def. KOLAR, Sean (SAC) 6-3, 6-1
4. STOBEL, Trey (STAN) def. BRANDYS, Roy (SAC) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-8)
5. ROMANOWICZ, Maciek (STAN) def. MILLER, Tom (SAC) 6-4, 6-4
6. STINEMAN, Robert (STAN) def. RAM, Niranjan (SAC) 6-3, 6-1
1. KANDATH, Matt/MORRISEY, John (STAN) def. MALKO, Aliaksandr/MARKSOO, Marek (SAC) 8-6
2. #57 BALL, Jamin/STOBEL, Trey (STAN) def. MILLER, Tom/KOLAR, Sean (SAC) 8-7 (7-5)
3. LIN, Denis/HO, Daniel (STAN) def. BRANDYS, Roy/RAM, Niranjan (SAC) 8-4
Stanford 1-0; National ranking #10
Sacramento State 0-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,6,3,4,5,2)