Full set of game notes (26 pages) - pdf
• Sacramento State (6-1) will play the first of just two remaining non-conference games on Saturday afternoon at Santa Clara (9-2). Tip-off at the Leavey Center is set for 2:05 p.m.
• The Hornets are off to their best seven-game start in program history, and Santa Clara has won 11 straight home games dating back to last season. That includes a 9-0 record at home this season.
• Both Sacramento State and Santa Clara are receiving votes in the collegeinsider.com Mid-Major poll. In fact, both teams are just outside the top 25 as the Hornets are receiving the second most votes of any team not in the top 25 and the Broncos the third most.
• The Hornets are 3-1 away from home this season, including road wins at Cal State Fullerton and Pepperdine, as well as a neutral court victory against UC Davis. The Hornets have not played since their 62-59 win at Fullerton last Saturday as this week was Finals Week at Sacramento State.
• The Hornets have never defeated Santa Clara (0-6), and the teams will play each other for the first time since a 51-32 Hornet loss on the road on Dec. 6, 2008. That year (2008-09) also coincided with Brian Katz's first season as head coach at Sacramento State.
• All six of Sacramento State's losses to Santa Clara have come by at least 12 points. Four of the defeats came on the road to the Broncos, and the Hornets dropped those games by an average of 18.3 points per contest.
• Sacramento State's 6-1 record matches the team's best seven-game start in program history (1948-pres.), and is the best start in the team's Div. I era (1991-pres.). The only other team to start 6-1 was the 1985-86 Div. II team.
• Should the Hornets win on Saturday, they would become the first team to ever start a season with a 7-1 record.
• Sacramento State has used a stingy defense to get off to its nice start, as six of the team's seven opponents have scored under 60 points. The Hornets rank nationally among the best defenses as the team is third in the country in scoring defense (50.4 ppg), field goal percentage defense (.334) and 3-point field goal percentage defense (.213).
• Sacramento State leads the Big Sky Conference in scoring defense, scoring margin (+14.6 ppg), field goal percentage defense and free throw percentage (.730).
• Sacramento State has used the same five starters in every game, comprised of Brandon Davis and Izayah Mauriohooho-Le'afa at guard, Osi Nwachukwu and Ethan Esposito at forward, and Joshua Patton at center.
• All Sacramento State home games, and road games played against a Big Sky Conference team, will be video streamed for free on Pluto.TV. Those broadcasts can be watched online at Pluto.TV (home games on channel 533) or by downloading the app for your mobile device.
• Saturday's game will be video streamed on the WCC Network by clicking here.
• Every home game this year is broadcast live on ESPN 1320 AM with 23rd-year play-by-play man Steve McElroy calling all the action. There will be no radio for Saturday's game.
• Links for all multimedia options, including live stats for every game, can be found next to each game on the men's basketball schedule at www.hornetsports.com.
January 17, 2020 MEN'S HOOPS TRAVELS TO SOUTHERN UTAH FOR SATURDAY MATINEE
January 16, 2020 WINNING STREAK SNAPPED, MEN’S BASKETBALL FALLS AT NORTHERN COLORADO
December 30, 2019 MEN’S BASKETBALL DROPS 52-50 ROAD HEARTBREAKER AT MONTANA
December 29, 2019 GAME NOTES: MEN'S HOOPS TO PLAY AT MONTANA ON MONDAY NIGHT
December 28, 2019 MEN’S BASKETBALL DROPS BIG SKY OPENER AT MONTANA STATE
December 22, 2019 MEN'S BASKETBALL OPENS BIG SKY PLAY SATURDAY AT MONTANA STATE
December 14, 2019 MEN’S BASKETBALL DROPS HEARTBREAKER ON THE ROAD AT SANTA CLARA, 60-58
December 3, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS BACK AT HOME TUESDAY NIGHT VS. UC MERCED AT 7 PM
December 3, 2019 MEN’S BASKETBALL IMPROVES TO 5-1 AFTER 72-36 WIN OVER UC MERCED
November 30, 2019 LATE RUN PROPELS 21ST-RANKED COLORADO TO WIN OVER MEN’S BASKETBALL
November 27, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS LOOKS TO STAY UNBEATEN SATURDAY AT 21ST-RANKED COLORADO
November 26, 2019 PATTON NAMED BIG SKY MEN’S BASKETBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK
November 22, 2019 MEN'S BASKETBALL LOOKS TO REMAIN UNBEATEN SATURDAY AT PEPPERDINE
November 20, 2019 MEN’S HOOPS NOW 3-0 AFTER 61-51 WIN OVER UC DAVIS AT THE GOLDEN 1 CENTER
November 18, 2019 MEN'S BASKETBALL SET FOR GOLDEN 1 CENTER MATCHUP WEDNESDAY VS. UC DAVIS
November 15, 2019 MEN’S BASKETBALL IMPROVES TO 2-0 AFTER 62-49 WIN OVER UC RIVERSIDE
November 8, 2019 MEN’S BASKETBALL CRUSHES SIMPSON, 76-27, IN SEASON OPENER
October 30, 2019 MEN’S BASKETBALL BEATS WESTCLIFF, 88-60, IN LONE EXHIBITION GAME
August 6, 2019 MEN’S BASKETBALL RELEASES ITS 2019-20 SCHEDULE