Full set of game notes (26 pages) - pdf
To puchase tickets
• Sacramento State will play its third game of the season when the Hornets (2-0) take on UC Davis (2-3) in the annual rivalry game at the Golden 1 Center in downtown Sacramento. Tip-off is 5:35 p.m.
• The game is part of a doubleheader that will see Saint Mary's take on Fresno State at 8:05 p.m.
• This will mark the fourth straight year the two teams have played at the Golden 1 Center. UC Davis won the first two games while the Hornets won last year's meeting, 58-55.
• The Hornets are 2-0 for the second straight season after posting convincing home wins over both Simpson (76-27) and UC Riverside (62-49).
• The Hornets have yet to trail in a game this season, and the team's defense is allowing just 38.0 points per game while limiting the opposition to 25% shooting from the field.
• Prior to the Hornets' win over UC Riverside on Friday, the Highlanders had been 2-0 with a 19-point road win at Nebraska and a 7-point home win against Idaho.
• UC Davis is 2-3, and just completed a trip in which the team went 1-2 over a four-day stretch at the Red Wolves Classic in Jonesboro, Ark. The Aggies played Thursday, Friday and Sunday, including an 89-84 double overtime loss to VMI on Sunday.
• The Hornets and Aggies will play each other for the 118th time in the long standing rivalry between the two teams. The two programs entered into a four-year agreement to play at the Golden 1 Center, and this if the final year of that deal.
• Four of the last six meetings between the two teams have been decided by six points or less. That includes last year's 58-55 Hornet win in which Sacramento State closed the final 4:26 of the contest on a 9-0 run.
• Since becoming Sacramento State head coach in 2008, Brian Katz is 6-5 vs. UC Davis, and 4-4 against Jim Les coached Aggie squads.
• The 117 meetings between the teams is the longest standing rivalry for Sacramento State against any opponent since the first season of Hornet hoops in 1948-49.
• Overall, the Hornets have the better of UC Davis in a series which dates back to 1948 as Sacramento State is 67-50 all-time against the Aggies.
• Wednesday's game is officially a neutral site game, but UC Davis is the designated home team. Sacramento State was the home team in last year's matchup.
• A win would allow the Hornets to start 3-0 for the second straight year and fourth time in the last eight seasons.
• Sacramento State is coming off a 2018-19 season in which the team finished 15-16 overall and 8-12 in the Big Sky Conference. The 15 wins tied for the second largest output during the program's Div. I era (1991-pres.). The Hornets were never better than four games above .500, or worse than one game below .500 during the entire season.
• The Hornets return 11 players (one redshirt), including four starters, from a year ago.
• All Sacramento State home games, and road games played against a Big Sky Conference team, will be video streamed for free on Pluto.TV. Those broadcasts can be watched online at Pluto.TV (home games on channel 533) or by downloading the app for your mobile device.
• There will be no video stream available for Wednesday's game at the Golden 1 Center.
• Every home game this year and Wednesday's game vs. UC Davis will be broadcast live on ESPN 1320 AM with 23rd-year play-by-play man Steve McElroy calling all the action.
• Links for all multimedia options, including live stats for every game, can be found next to each game on the men's basketball schedule at www.hornetsports.com.