Full set of game notes (pdf) - 28 pages
• After beginning the 2019-20 season last Friday with a 76-27 win over Simpson, Sacramento State (1-0) will play its first game against a Div. I opponent on Friday when it hosts UC Riverside at 7:05 p.m. inside the Nest.
• Simpson is an NAIA school from Redding, Calif., and the 27 points for the Red Hawks were the fewest allowed in Sacramento State program single-game history (1948-pres.). The previous mark was 28 against San Francisco in 1951.
• UC Riverside is off to a fast start, posting a convincing 66-47 road win at Nebraska, followed by a 58-51 home victory over Idaho last Saturday. The Highlanders are 2-0 to start a season for the first time since joining the Div. I ranks in 2000.
• Sacramento State is 6-12 all-time against UC Riverside, but has won the last two matchups. In the teams' last meeting, the Hornets won for the first time ever on the road at UC Riverside, beating the Highlanders, 70-69, on Nov. 17, 2014. In that game (box on page 10), Cody Demps hit what proved to be the game-winning bucket with 17 seconds to play and Mikh McKinney scored 22 points, including eight in the final 4:22.
• Each of the last three meetings between the two teams have been decided by two points or less - 70-69 road win in 2014, 69-67 home win in 2013, and 59-58 road loss in 2009.
• The Hornets are 5-5 at home against UC Riverside, with the last time the two teams met inside the Nest resulting in a 69-67 Sacramento State victory on Dec. 29, 2013.
• Sacramento State played one exhibition game, and that came on Oct. 30 in an 88-60 win over Westcliff. A total of 13 players have played at least four minutes in both the exhibition and season-opening victories.
• Sacramento State is coming off a 2018-19 season in which the team finished 15-16 overall and 8-12 in the Big Sky Conference. The 15 wins tied for the second largest output during the program's Div. I era (1991-pres.). The Hornets were never better than four games above .500, or worse than one game below .500 during the entire season.
• The Hornets return 11 players (one redshirt), including four starters, from a year ago. That list includes six of the team's top seven scorers. Gone is leading scorer and second team all-conference selection Marcus Graves (16.8 ppg), but the Hornets still return a huge chunk of their scoring production. In fact, with the exception of Graves, every player on the roster that averaged at least four points per game is back.
• The list of returners includes center Joshua Patton (12.9 ppg, 6.8 rpg), guard Izayah Mauriohooho-Le'afa (8.5 ppg, 1.5 spg), forward Ethan Esposito (8.6 ppg, 4.2 rpg), guard Bryce Fowler (8.0 ppg, 3.9 rpg), forward Osi Nwachukwu (6.0 ppg, 3.6 rpg) and forward Chibueze Jacobs (4.0 ppg, 2.8 rpg).
• All Sacramento State home games, and road games played against a Big Sky Conference team, will be video streamed for free on Pluto.TV. Those broadcasts can be watched online at Pluto.TV (home games on channel 533) or by downloading the app for your mobile device.
• Every home game this year will be broadcast live on ESPN 1320 AM with 23rd-year play-by-play man Steve McElroy calling all the action.
• Links for all multimedia options, including live stats for every game, can be found next to each game on the men's basketball schedule at www.hornetsports.com.
January 27, 2020 MEN’S BASKETBALL FALLS ON THE ROAD AT NORTHERN ARIZONA
January 17, 2020 MEN'S HOOPS TRAVELS TO SOUTHERN UTAH FOR SATURDAY MATINEE
January 16, 2020 WINNING STREAK SNAPPED, MEN’S BASKETBALL FALLS AT NORTHERN COLORADO
December 30, 2019 MEN’S BASKETBALL DROPS 52-50 ROAD HEARTBREAKER AT MONTANA
December 29, 2019 GAME NOTES: MEN'S HOOPS TO PLAY AT MONTANA ON MONDAY NIGHT
December 28, 2019 MEN’S BASKETBALL DROPS BIG SKY OPENER AT MONTANA STATE
December 22, 2019 MEN'S BASKETBALL OPENS BIG SKY PLAY SATURDAY AT MONTANA STATE
December 14, 2019 MEN’S BASKETBALL DROPS HEARTBREAKER ON THE ROAD AT SANTA CLARA, 60-58
December 3, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS BACK AT HOME TUESDAY NIGHT VS. UC MERCED AT 7 PM
December 3, 2019 MEN’S BASKETBALL IMPROVES TO 5-1 AFTER 72-36 WIN OVER UC MERCED
November 30, 2019 LATE RUN PROPELS 21ST-RANKED COLORADO TO WIN OVER MEN’S BASKETBALL
November 27, 2019 MEN'S HOOPS LOOKS TO STAY UNBEATEN SATURDAY AT 21ST-RANKED COLORADO
November 26, 2019 PATTON NAMED BIG SKY MEN’S BASKETBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK
November 22, 2019 MEN'S BASKETBALL LOOKS TO REMAIN UNBEATEN SATURDAY AT PEPPERDINE
November 20, 2019 MEN’S HOOPS NOW 3-0 AFTER 61-51 WIN OVER UC DAVIS AT THE GOLDEN 1 CENTER
November 18, 2019 MEN'S BASKETBALL SET FOR GOLDEN 1 CENTER MATCHUP WEDNESDAY VS. UC DAVIS
November 15, 2019 MEN’S BASKETBALL IMPROVES TO 2-0 AFTER 62-49 WIN OVER UC RIVERSIDE
November 8, 2019 MEN’S BASKETBALL CRUSHES SIMPSON, 76-27, IN SEASON OPENER
October 30, 2019 MEN’S BASKETBALL BEATS WESTCLIFF, 88-60, IN LONE EXHIBITION GAME
August 6, 2019 MEN’S BASKETBALL RELEASES ITS 2019-20 SCHEDULE