All-District Teams (pdf)
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- After Sacramento State posted its best season in the Div. I era, and arguably the best season in school history, head coach Brian Katz was named the District 6 Coach of the Year, and senior guard Mikh McKinney was named first team all-District 6, it was announced today by the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC).
Katz becomes the first Sacramento State men's basketball coach during the Div. I era (1991-pres.) to be named District Coach of the Year, and McKinney the first in Div. I history to be named first team all-district. McKinney is appearing on the all-district team for the second straight year as he received second team accolades last season.
District 6 is made up of players from the Big Sky Conference and Western Athletic Conference. Of the 10 players selected from the district (five on the first team, five on the second team), six were from the Big Sky, including McKinney.
Sacramento State recently completed a season in which it posted a 21-12 overall record, a 13-5 Big Sky Conference mark, and the program's first postseason berth during the Div. I era (1991-pres.) when the Hornets qualified for the CIT. The 21-12 record marked the first time in the Div. I era the Hornets finished with a record above the .500 mark, the 21 victories tied for second most in program history (1948-pres.), and the Hornets' victory at Portland in the first round of the CIT marked the first postseason win for the program in 53 years.
• Already voted as the Big Sky Conference's co-Coach of the Year.
• Named as one of 16 finalists for this year's Hugh Durham Award, presented by CollegeInsider.com to the nation's top mid-major coach.
• Led the Hornets to a 21-12 overall record, a 13-5 mark in the Big Sky Conference, the team's first postseason appearance in the Div. I era (1991-pres.), and the team's first postseason win in 53 years.
• The overall record marked the first time in the Div. I era that Sacramento State finished above the .500 mark, and first time since the 1988-89 season.
• The 21 wins are tied for second most in program history, and the 13 conference wins are the most in school history (regardless of conference).
• All of this from a program that had entered the year with just three winning seasons in the previous 38 years.
• The Hornets qualified for the CIT Postseason Tournament, marking the first time the program had qualified for a postseason event since the 1988 NCAA Div. II Tournament, and just the fifth postseason appearance in school history.
• Sacramento State's 73-66 victory over Portland in the first round of the CIT marked the first time in 53 years the Hornets had won a postseason game.
• Sacramento State has improved its conference record every season of Katz's tenure.
• The Hornets were ranked in the CollegeInsider.com Mid Major Poll for the first time in school history (ranking as high as 14th).
• The team finished just one game back of first place in the Big Sky standings, narrowly missing out on the program's first conference championship since 1977.
• The Hornets never lost more than two consecutive games all year and had three winning streaks of at least four games, including a seven-game winning streak which tied for the sixth longest in school history.
• Sacramento State won nine straight home games at one point, and finished the year with a 13-2 home record, tied for the most home wins in program history.
• Sacramento State sold out each of its final six home games, including last Saturday's CIT second round loss to Northern Arizona, in which the Hornets were hosting their first postseason game inside the Nest since March 10, 1962.
• The Hornets posted a 3.15 grade point average during the fall semester, the highest cumulative gpa in school history for the men's basketball program.
• Of the 21 Hornets that have expired their eligibility during Coach Katz's tenure, 19 have graduated.
• Named the Big Sky Conference Player of the Year, a finalist for the Lou Henson Mid-Major Player of the Year, unanimous first team all-Big Sky, all-Big Sky Tournament and a four-time Big Sky Player of the Week selection.
• Became Sacramento State's first conference MVP since 1977, the first player in the program's Div. I era to be named first team all-District, and first Hornet in school history to be named unanimous first team all-Big Sky in back-to-back years.
• Averaged 19.2 points, 4.9 assists, 2.8 rebounds, 2.4 steals, a +2.3 assist-to-turnover ratio and 37.0 minutes per game while shooting .507 (219-432) from the field, .430 (65-151) from the 3-point line and .803 (110-137) from the free throw line.
• Ranks among the nation's top 60 players in 10 different categories, including seventh in steals per game, eighth in total steals, 23rd in field goals made and minutes per game, 28th in points per game, 32nd in total points, 48th in assists per game, 54th in total assists, 58th in total minutes, and 60th in assist-to-turnover ratio.
• The field goal percentage is the sixth best mark in the nation among all guards.
• In Big Sky play, he averaged 19.7 points, 5.2 assists, 2.3 rebounds, 2.2 steals, a +2.3 assist-to-turnover ratio and 37.9 minutes per game while shooting .502 (123-245) from the field, .451 (41-91) from the 3-point line and .753 (67-89) from the free throw line.
• Scored at least 15 points during each of the final 16 games of the season, and had at least nine points in all 32 games he played.
• Hit the game winner with 2.6 seconds left to deliver a 63-61 road win at North Dakota.
• Scored 27 of his career-high 33 points in the second half to lead the Hornets to a 78-71 road win at Weber State.
• Scored 27 of his 32 points in the second half to lead the Hornets to a comeback 79-76 home win over Idaho.
• Had 32 points, seven rebounds, eight assists and a career-high seven steals while shooting 13-of-21 from the field vs. Portland.
• Shot at least 40 percent from the field in all but four games, and at least 50 percent in 18 of his 32 games played.
• Led the Hornets in scoring 21 times, and paced the team in assists on 22 occasions.
• Ranks fourth in Sacramento State history in career points (1,468), and is the program's all-time leader in points among players that were not in the program for four years.
April 24, 2015 BIG SKY, RENO ANNOUNCE BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS AGREEMENT
March 26, 2015 McKINNEY NAMED A FINALIST FOR MID-MAJOR PLAYER OF THE YEAR
March 17, 2015 FIRST ROUND OF CIT - MEN'S HOOPS AT PORTLAND ON WEDNESDAY
March 10, 2015 BRIAN KATZ NAMED THE BIG SKY CONFERENCE CO-COACH OF THE YEAR
February 28, 2015 MEN’S HOOPS ONE WIN AWAY FROM LEAGUE TITLE AFTER WIN AT PORTLAND STATE
February 24, 2015 MEN'S HOOPS BEGINS FINAL ROAD TRIP ON SATURDAY AT PORTLAND STATE
February 21, 2015 MEN’S HOOPS BACK IN 1ST PLACE AFTER BEATING NORTH DAKOTA ON SENIOR NIGHT
February 20, 2015 MEN'S HOOPS HOSTS FINAL REGULAR SEASON HOME GAME SAT. NIGHT AT 7 PM
February 19, 2015 MEN’S HOOPS IMPROVES TO 17-8 WITH A 66-59 VICTORY OVER NORTHERN COLO.
February 17, 2015 MEN'S HOOPS HOSTS NORTHERN COLORADO THURSDAY NIGHT AT 7 P.M.
February 14, 2015 LATE RUN SPARKS IDAHO TO 69-58 VICTORY OVER MEN’S BASKETBALL
February 13, 2015 MEN'S BASKETBALL TRAVELS TO IDAHO FOR SATURDAY EVENING MATCHUP
February 12, 2015 LATE RUN FALLS JUST SHORT IN MEN’S HOOPS’ 64-61 LOSS AT EASTERN WASH.
February 10, 2015 FIRST PLACE ON THE LINE IN MEN'S HOOPS GAME THURS. AT EASTERN WASHINGTON
February 7, 2015 MEN’S HOOPS WINS 7TH STRAIGHT, DOWNS PORTLAND STATE, 64-60
February 4, 2015 MEN’S HOOPS POSTS HIGHEST TERM GPA IN SCHOOL HISTORY
February 2, 2015 McKINNEY NAMED BIG SKY PLAYER OF THE WEEK FOR THE 3RD STRAIGHT WEEK
January 27, 2015 MEN'S HOOPS BACK AT HOME THURSDAY NIGHT VS. MONTANA STATE
January 23, 2015 MEN'S HOOPS SEEKS FOURTH STRAIGHT WIN SATURDAY AT WEBER STATE
January 21, 2015 McKINNEY SELECTED AS ONE OF THE BEST MID-MAJOR PLAYERS IN THE NATION
January 21, 2015 MEN'S HOOPS BACK IN ACTION THURSDAY NIGHT AT IDAHO STATE
January 19, 2015 MEN’S HOOPS RANKED IN THE TOP 25 MID-MAJOR POLL FOR FIRST TIME EVER
January 19, 2015 McKINNEY RECEIVES SCHOOL-RECORD 4TH BIG SKY PLAYER OF THE WEEK AWARD
January 17, 2015 MEN’S HOOPS TAKES OVER FIRST PLACE, BEATS EASTERN WASHINGTON 90-77
January 16, 2015 MEN'S HOOPS HOSTS EASTERN WASHINGTON ON SATURDAY FOR FIRST PLACE
January 13, 2015 MEN'S HOOPS BACK AT HOME THURSDAY VS. LEAGUE NEWCOMER IDAHO AT 7 PM
January 10, 2015 MEN’S BASKETBALL’S WINNING STREAK ENDS IN LOSS AT NORTHERN COLORADO
January 2, 2015 MEN'S HOOPS HOSTS SOUTHERN UTAH ON SATURDAY AT 7 P.M.
December 30, 2014 MEN'S HOOPS OPENS BIG SKY PLAY AT HOME THURSDAY VS. NORTHERN ARIZONA
December 29, 2014 GARRITY NAMED BIG SKY MEN’S BASKETBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK
December 27, 2014 GARRITY'S CAREER-HIGH 28 POINTS LEADS MEN'S HOOPS TO 74-49 ROAD WIN
December 24, 2014 MEN'S HOOPS PLAYS FINAL NON-LEAGUE GAME SATURDAY AT UTAH VALLEY
December 21, 2014 MEN’S BASKETBALL CAN’T FIND THE RANGE IN ROAD LOSS AT SEATTLE
December 20, 2014 MEN'S HOOPS TRAVELS TO SEATTLE FOR SUNDAY EVENING MATCHUP
December 15, 2014 McKINNEY RECEIVES THIRD CAREER BIG SKY PLAYER OF THE WEEK AWARD
December 14, 2014 BIG NIGHT FOR McKINNEY, BUT MEN’S HOOPS LOSES THRILLER TO PORTLAND
December 12, 2014 MEN'S BASKETBALL HOSTS PORTLAND ON SUNDAY AT 5 P.M.
December 11, 2014 MEN’S HOOPS REMAINS PERFECT AT HOME WITH A 73-59 WIN OVER CS FULLERTON
December 10, 2014 MEN'S BASKETBALL HOSTS CAL STATE FULLERTON THURSDAY NIGHT AT 7 PM
December 6, 2014 MEN’S HOOPS CONCLUDES ROAD TRIP WITH 74-62 LOSS AT UC IRVINE
December 5, 2014 MEN'S HOOPS TRAVELS TO UC IRVINE FOR SATURDAY EVENING GAME
December 3, 2014 MEN'S HOOPS LOOKS FOR 5TH STRAIGHT WIN THURSDAY AT ABILENE CHRISTIAN
December 1, 2014 HORNSBY SCORES A CAREER-HIGH 20 AS MEN’S HOOPS WINS FOURTH STRAIGHT
November 30, 2014 MEN'S HOOPS HOSTS UTAH VALLEY ON MONDAY; GARRITY NEARS MILESTONE
November 25, 2014 MEN’S HOOPS IMPROVES TO 3-1 WITH 97-63 VICTORY OVER BRISTOL
November 24, 2014 MEN'S HOOPS RESUMES HOMESTAND TUESDAY NIGHT VS. BRISTOL
November 19, 2014 MEN’S BASKETBALL POSTS A 74-42 VICTORY OVER SIMPSON IN HOME OPENER
November 18, 2014 SACRAMENTO STATE TO HOST 2017 NCAA MEN’S TOURNEY 1ST AND 2ND ROUNDS
November 17, 2014 MEN'S BASKETBALL TRAVELS TO UC RIVERSIDE FOR MONDAY EVENING GAME
November 17, 2014 McKINNEY LEADS MEN’S HOOPS TO FIRST-EVER ROAD WIN AT UC RIVERSIDE
November 14, 2014 MEN’S BASKETBALL FALLS IN SEASON OPENER AT #13 GONZAGA
November 12, 2014 MEN’S BASKETBALL SIGNS GUARD JEFF WU AND FORWARD JOSHUA PATTON
November 10, 2014 MEN'S BASKETBALL OPENS SEASON FRIDAY NIGHT AT #13 GONZAGA
October 23, 2014 MEN’S HOOPS PICKED FOURTH IN BIG SKY COACHES AND MEDIA POLLS
September 30, 2014 MEN’S HOOPS SEASON COMING FAST, FIRST OFFICIAL PRACTICE ON FRIDAY
September 5, 2014 MEN’S HOOPS POSTS HIGHEST TERM GRADE POINT AVERAGE IN SCHOOL HISTORY
August 15, 2014 MEN’S BASKETBALL RELEASES ITS 2014-15 SCHEDULE