BIG SKY ALL-CONFERENCE TEAM
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Sacramento State's dynamic back court of senior guards and co-captains Mikh McKinney and Dylan Garrity each received all-Big Sky Conference recognition today, highlighted by McKinney being named conference MVP and unanimous first team all-league.
Not only was McKinney the recipient of unanimous first team honors for the second straight year, he also became the first Sacramento State men's basketball player to be named Big Sky Most Valuable Player, and the first player in the program's Div. I era (1991-pres.) to receive conference MVP accolades. Moreover, the third-year senior also became the first Hornet conference MVP since Nate Robinson was named the Far Western Conference's co-Player of the Year in 1977. In addition, McKinney becomes the first player in school history to be selected to the Big Sky's first team on more than one occasions.
Garrity, who was an honorable mention all-league choice each of his first three seasons, was selected to the second team this year. The fourth-year senior became the first-ever Sacramento State men's basketball player to receive all-Big Sky recognition four times. The program joined the Big Sky in 1996-97.
Together, McKinney and Garrity have become the faces of the transformation of Sacramento State basketball into a title contender. Regarded as the best back court in the Big Sky, the pair have led the Hornets to an improved conference record every season of their careers.
• Averaging 19.0 points, 2.7 rebounds, 5.0 assists, 2.6 steals and 36.9 minutes per game while shooting .515 (190-369) from the field, .423 (55-130) from the 3-point line and .780 (96-123) from the free throw line. He is also a team-best +128 in plus/minus ratio.
• He became the first player in school history to be named to the Lou Henson Mid-Major Player of the Year Watch List. He is one of two players from the Big Sky to make the list.
• Has won Big Sky Player of the Week honors four times this season, more than any other player in the league
• Amazingly, he ranks among the nation's top 65 players in 10 different categories, including seventh in steals per game, 20th in minutes per game, 30th in points per game, and 44th in both total field goals made and assists per game.
• Perhaps the most impressive stat from his line is the field goal percentage (.515), which is the sixth best mark in the nation among guards.
• He ranks among the Big Sky's top three players in five categories; first in steals and minutes, second in scoring and assists, and third in assist-to-turnover ratio (+2.4).
• Has scored at least 15 points in 12 straight games, at least 11 points in 27 straight games, and has gone over the 20-point mark on 12 occasions.
• In conference play, he averaged 19.7 points, 2.3 rebounds, 5.2 assists, 2.2 steals and 37.9 minutes per game while shooting .502 (123-245) from the field, .451 (41-91) from the 3-point line and .753 (67-89) from the free throw line.
• Has scored in double figures in 72 career games.
• Has started all 87 games in which he's played in a Sacramento State uniform.
• Among Sacramento State career leaders, he ranks among the top 10 players in 13 different statistical categories, including second in minutes per game (34.0), third in games started (87) and total minutes (2,955), fourth in free throws made (306) and attempted (381), fifth in points (1,386), assists (354), steals (144) and field goals made (479), seventh in steals per game (1.7), eighth in field goals attempted (1,019), and 10th in 3-point percentage (.384) and assists per game (4.1).
• Averaging 13.3 points, 1.9 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 1.0 steals per game while shooting .455 (122-268) from the field, .406 (69-170) from the 3-point line and .837 (72-86) from the free throw line.
• Has a plus/minus ratio this season of +101.
• Currently the Big Sky's third best free throw shooter and seventh best 3-point shooter at 2.4 made 3-pointers per game.
• Buried a 3-pointer with 6.2 seconds left in a home victory over Montana, 70-69.
• In conference play, he is averaging 13.4 points, 2.1 rebounds, 2.9 assists, 0.9 steals and 33.6 minutes per game while shooting .452 (76-168) from the field, .381 (40-105) from the 3-point line and .845 (49-58) from the free throw line.
• Has scored in double figures 24 times this year, and 72 times over the course of his four-year career.
• Has raised his scoring average every year of his career, from 8.1 ppg as a freshman, to 11.6 ppg, 13.2 ppg, and currently 13.3 ppg this year.
• Sacramento State's all-time leader in assists (521), games started (112) and total minutes played (3,857).
• Also ranks sixth in Big Sky history in assists per game.
• Buried the 75-foot "Hail Garrity" at the buzzer last season to defeat Weber State at home in overtime.
• Is currently shooting better than 40 percent from the 3-point line for the third straight year.
• Besides ranking first in school history in assists, starts and total minutes, Garrity also ranks among the program's career top 10 in the following....tied for first in games played (115), fifth in free throws made (305) and 3-pointers made (210), sixth in points (1,331), free throws attempted (364), free throw percentage (.838), 3-point percentage (.417) and 3-pointers attempted (504), and seventh in assists per game (4.5) and minutes per game (33.5).
Sacramento State (19-10, 13-5), currently enjoying easily its best season in the program's Div. I era (1991-pres.), will be the No. 3 seed at this week's Big Sky Tournament in Missoula, Mont. The Hornets will take on No. 6 Portland State at 12:30 p.m. PDT in the quarterfinal round. The winner of the Big Sky Tournament receives an automatic berth into the NCAA Tournament, a place the Hornets have never been since joining the Div. I ranks in 1991.
April 24, 2015 BIG SKY, RENO ANNOUNCE BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS AGREEMENT
March 26, 2015 McKINNEY NAMED A FINALIST FOR MID-MAJOR PLAYER OF THE YEAR
March 17, 2015 FIRST ROUND OF CIT - MEN'S HOOPS AT PORTLAND ON WEDNESDAY
March 10, 2015 BRIAN KATZ NAMED THE BIG SKY CONFERENCE CO-COACH OF THE YEAR
February 28, 2015 MEN’S HOOPS ONE WIN AWAY FROM LEAGUE TITLE AFTER WIN AT PORTLAND STATE
February 24, 2015 MEN'S HOOPS BEGINS FINAL ROAD TRIP ON SATURDAY AT PORTLAND STATE
February 21, 2015 MEN’S HOOPS BACK IN 1ST PLACE AFTER BEATING NORTH DAKOTA ON SENIOR NIGHT
February 20, 2015 MEN'S HOOPS HOSTS FINAL REGULAR SEASON HOME GAME SAT. NIGHT AT 7 PM
February 19, 2015 MEN’S HOOPS IMPROVES TO 17-8 WITH A 66-59 VICTORY OVER NORTHERN COLO.
February 17, 2015 MEN'S HOOPS HOSTS NORTHERN COLORADO THURSDAY NIGHT AT 7 P.M.
February 14, 2015 LATE RUN SPARKS IDAHO TO 69-58 VICTORY OVER MEN’S BASKETBALL
February 13, 2015 MEN'S BASKETBALL TRAVELS TO IDAHO FOR SATURDAY EVENING MATCHUP
February 12, 2015 LATE RUN FALLS JUST SHORT IN MEN’S HOOPS’ 64-61 LOSS AT EASTERN WASH.
February 10, 2015 FIRST PLACE ON THE LINE IN MEN'S HOOPS GAME THURS. AT EASTERN WASHINGTON
February 7, 2015 MEN’S HOOPS WINS 7TH STRAIGHT, DOWNS PORTLAND STATE, 64-60
February 4, 2015 MEN’S HOOPS POSTS HIGHEST TERM GPA IN SCHOOL HISTORY
February 2, 2015 McKINNEY NAMED BIG SKY PLAYER OF THE WEEK FOR THE 3RD STRAIGHT WEEK
January 27, 2015 MEN'S HOOPS BACK AT HOME THURSDAY NIGHT VS. MONTANA STATE
January 23, 2015 MEN'S HOOPS SEEKS FOURTH STRAIGHT WIN SATURDAY AT WEBER STATE
January 21, 2015 McKINNEY SELECTED AS ONE OF THE BEST MID-MAJOR PLAYERS IN THE NATION
January 21, 2015 MEN'S HOOPS BACK IN ACTION THURSDAY NIGHT AT IDAHO STATE
January 19, 2015 MEN’S HOOPS RANKED IN THE TOP 25 MID-MAJOR POLL FOR FIRST TIME EVER
January 19, 2015 McKINNEY RECEIVES SCHOOL-RECORD 4TH BIG SKY PLAYER OF THE WEEK AWARD
January 17, 2015 MEN’S HOOPS TAKES OVER FIRST PLACE, BEATS EASTERN WASHINGTON 90-77
January 16, 2015 MEN'S HOOPS HOSTS EASTERN WASHINGTON ON SATURDAY FOR FIRST PLACE
January 13, 2015 MEN'S HOOPS BACK AT HOME THURSDAY VS. LEAGUE NEWCOMER IDAHO AT 7 PM
January 10, 2015 MEN’S BASKETBALL’S WINNING STREAK ENDS IN LOSS AT NORTHERN COLORADO
January 2, 2015 MEN'S HOOPS HOSTS SOUTHERN UTAH ON SATURDAY AT 7 P.M.
December 30, 2014 MEN'S HOOPS OPENS BIG SKY PLAY AT HOME THURSDAY VS. NORTHERN ARIZONA
December 29, 2014 GARRITY NAMED BIG SKY MEN’S BASKETBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK
December 27, 2014 GARRITY'S CAREER-HIGH 28 POINTS LEADS MEN'S HOOPS TO 74-49 ROAD WIN
December 24, 2014 MEN'S HOOPS PLAYS FINAL NON-LEAGUE GAME SATURDAY AT UTAH VALLEY
December 21, 2014 MEN’S BASKETBALL CAN’T FIND THE RANGE IN ROAD LOSS AT SEATTLE
December 20, 2014 MEN'S HOOPS TRAVELS TO SEATTLE FOR SUNDAY EVENING MATCHUP
December 15, 2014 McKINNEY RECEIVES THIRD CAREER BIG SKY PLAYER OF THE WEEK AWARD
December 14, 2014 BIG NIGHT FOR McKINNEY, BUT MEN’S HOOPS LOSES THRILLER TO PORTLAND
December 12, 2014 MEN'S BASKETBALL HOSTS PORTLAND ON SUNDAY AT 5 P.M.
December 11, 2014 MEN’S HOOPS REMAINS PERFECT AT HOME WITH A 73-59 WIN OVER CS FULLERTON
December 10, 2014 MEN'S BASKETBALL HOSTS CAL STATE FULLERTON THURSDAY NIGHT AT 7 PM
December 6, 2014 MEN’S HOOPS CONCLUDES ROAD TRIP WITH 74-62 LOSS AT UC IRVINE
December 5, 2014 MEN'S HOOPS TRAVELS TO UC IRVINE FOR SATURDAY EVENING GAME
December 3, 2014 MEN'S HOOPS LOOKS FOR 5TH STRAIGHT WIN THURSDAY AT ABILENE CHRISTIAN
December 1, 2014 HORNSBY SCORES A CAREER-HIGH 20 AS MEN’S HOOPS WINS FOURTH STRAIGHT
November 30, 2014 MEN'S HOOPS HOSTS UTAH VALLEY ON MONDAY; GARRITY NEARS MILESTONE
November 25, 2014 MEN’S HOOPS IMPROVES TO 3-1 WITH 97-63 VICTORY OVER BRISTOL
November 24, 2014 MEN'S HOOPS RESUMES HOMESTAND TUESDAY NIGHT VS. BRISTOL
November 19, 2014 MEN’S BASKETBALL POSTS A 74-42 VICTORY OVER SIMPSON IN HOME OPENER
November 18, 2014 SACRAMENTO STATE TO HOST 2017 NCAA MEN’S TOURNEY 1ST AND 2ND ROUNDS
November 17, 2014 MEN'S BASKETBALL TRAVELS TO UC RIVERSIDE FOR MONDAY EVENING GAME
November 17, 2014 McKINNEY LEADS MEN’S HOOPS TO FIRST-EVER ROAD WIN AT UC RIVERSIDE
November 14, 2014 MEN’S BASKETBALL FALLS IN SEASON OPENER AT #13 GONZAGA
November 12, 2014 MEN’S BASKETBALL SIGNS GUARD JEFF WU AND FORWARD JOSHUA PATTON
November 10, 2014 MEN'S BASKETBALL OPENS SEASON FRIDAY NIGHT AT #13 GONZAGA
October 23, 2014 MEN’S HOOPS PICKED FOURTH IN BIG SKY COACHES AND MEDIA POLLS
September 30, 2014 MEN’S HOOPS SEASON COMING FAST, FIRST OFFICIAL PRACTICE ON FRIDAY
September 5, 2014 MEN’S HOOPS POSTS HIGHEST TERM GRADE POINT AVERAGE IN SCHOOL HISTORY
August 15, 2014 MEN’S BASKETBALL RELEASES ITS 2014-15 SCHEDULE