Lou Henson Mid-Major Player of the Year Watch List
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Sacramento State senior guard Mikh McKinney was selected among the best mid-major basketball players in the country and named to the Lou Henson Mid-Major Player of the Year Watch List.
McKinney is one of 40 players across the country, and one of just two players from the Big Sky Conference, to make the list. The finalists for the award will be announced in March, and the Lou Henson Award for the Div. I Mid-Major Player of the Year will be announced on April 3 in Indianapolis.
The Mid-Major level is comprised of teams from the following conferences: America East, Atlantic Sun, Big Sky, Big South, Big West, Colonial, Horizon, Independents, Ivy, Metro Atlantic, Mid-American, Mid-Eastern, Missouri Valley, Northeast, Ohio Valley, Patriot, Southern, Southland, Southwestern, Summit, Sun Belt, West Coast and Western Athletic.
McKinney becomes the first player in Sacramento State history to be named to the Watch List. The reigning Big Sky Player of the Week has helped lead the Hornets to an 11-6 overall record and a 5-1 league mark. Sacramento State currently sits atop the Big Sky standings for the first time ever this late in the season, and the 5-1 conference record is the team's best since joining the Big Sky in 1996-97.
Below are some briefs on McKinney's season and career at Sacramento State.
• Currently averaging 17.6 points, 2.9 rebounds, 5.3 assists, 2.9 steals and 35.5 minutes per game while shooting .532 (108-203) from the field, .371 (23-62) from the 3-point line and .768 (43-56) from the free throw line.
• Has scored at least 11 points in all but one game this year (nine points in the other).
• He ranks among the nation's top 63 players in eight different categories, including tied for second in steals per game, sixth in total steals and 40th in assists per game.
• Ranks among the Big Sky's top eight players in six categories, including fourth in scoring. His field goal percentage of .532 is easily the best mark in the conference among guards.
• In Big Sky Conference play, he is averaging 17.5 points, 2.2 rebounds, 6.2 assists, 2.3 steals and 36.2 minutes per game while shooting .519 (41-79) from the field and .391 (9-23) from the 3-point line.
• Already a two-time Big Sky Player of the Week award winner.
• Hit the game winner with 2.6 seconds left to deliver a 63-61 road win at North Dakota.
• Scored 27 of his career-high tying 32 points to lead the Hornets to a comeback 79-76 home win over Idaho.
• Had 32 points, seven rebounds, eight assists and a career-high seven steals while shooting 13-of-21 from the field against Portland.
• Has shot at least 40 percent from the field in all but two games.
• Has led the Hornets in scoring seven times, assists on 11 occasions, and rebounding four times.
• Preseason first team all-league selection by every publication that does a preseason Big Sky honors list (ESPN, Sporting News, Athlon, Lindy's, Blue Ribbon). Named by Lindy's as the Big Sky's top play maker.
• In his third year at Sacramento State, the team co-captain transferred from Ohlone College prior to his sophomore season.
• Became the first player in school history to be unanimously selected first team all-Big Sky last season.
• Became the first player in the program's Div. I era (1991-pres.) to be named all-district when he was selected second team all-District 6 by the NABC last season.
• Has two Big Sky Player of the Week awards this season, and became the first player in school history to rack up four career Big Sky weekly honors (selected twice last year).
• Named Sacramento State's Male Student-Athlete of the Year last spring.
• Team co-captain for the second straight year.
• Has started all 75 games in which he has played in a Sacramento State uniform.
• Has scored in double figures 60 times, including 29 of his last 30 games dating back to last year.
• Has scored 20-plus points on 18 occasions.
• Among Sacramento State all-time career leaders (1948-pres.), despite playing under three years with the program, he ranks among the top 20 players in 17 different categories.
• That includes sixth all-time in assists (297), seventh in starts, eighth in free throws made (253), steals (118) and steals per game (1.6), ninth in minutes per game (33.2) and 10th in minutes played (2,490).
• He became the 13th player in school history to score 1,000 career points, and now has 1,137 points. He is just 13 points shy of cracking into the program's top 10.
• With 397 career field goals made, he needs just two more field goals to crack into the program's top 10.
April 24, 2015 BIG SKY, RENO ANNOUNCE BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS AGREEMENT
March 26, 2015 McKINNEY NAMED A FINALIST FOR MID-MAJOR PLAYER OF THE YEAR
March 17, 2015 FIRST ROUND OF CIT - MEN'S HOOPS AT PORTLAND ON WEDNESDAY
March 10, 2015 BRIAN KATZ NAMED THE BIG SKY CONFERENCE CO-COACH OF THE YEAR
February 28, 2015 MEN’S HOOPS ONE WIN AWAY FROM LEAGUE TITLE AFTER WIN AT PORTLAND STATE
February 24, 2015 MEN'S HOOPS BEGINS FINAL ROAD TRIP ON SATURDAY AT PORTLAND STATE
February 21, 2015 MEN’S HOOPS BACK IN 1ST PLACE AFTER BEATING NORTH DAKOTA ON SENIOR NIGHT
February 20, 2015 MEN'S HOOPS HOSTS FINAL REGULAR SEASON HOME GAME SAT. NIGHT AT 7 PM
February 19, 2015 MEN’S HOOPS IMPROVES TO 17-8 WITH A 66-59 VICTORY OVER NORTHERN COLO.
February 17, 2015 MEN'S HOOPS HOSTS NORTHERN COLORADO THURSDAY NIGHT AT 7 P.M.
February 14, 2015 LATE RUN SPARKS IDAHO TO 69-58 VICTORY OVER MEN’S BASKETBALL
February 13, 2015 MEN'S BASKETBALL TRAVELS TO IDAHO FOR SATURDAY EVENING MATCHUP
February 12, 2015 LATE RUN FALLS JUST SHORT IN MEN’S HOOPS’ 64-61 LOSS AT EASTERN WASH.
February 10, 2015 FIRST PLACE ON THE LINE IN MEN'S HOOPS GAME THURS. AT EASTERN WASHINGTON
February 7, 2015 MEN’S HOOPS WINS 7TH STRAIGHT, DOWNS PORTLAND STATE, 64-60
February 4, 2015 MEN’S HOOPS POSTS HIGHEST TERM GPA IN SCHOOL HISTORY
February 2, 2015 McKINNEY NAMED BIG SKY PLAYER OF THE WEEK FOR THE 3RD STRAIGHT WEEK
January 27, 2015 MEN'S HOOPS BACK AT HOME THURSDAY NIGHT VS. MONTANA STATE
January 23, 2015 MEN'S HOOPS SEEKS FOURTH STRAIGHT WIN SATURDAY AT WEBER STATE
January 21, 2015 McKINNEY SELECTED AS ONE OF THE BEST MID-MAJOR PLAYERS IN THE NATION
January 21, 2015 MEN'S HOOPS BACK IN ACTION THURSDAY NIGHT AT IDAHO STATE
January 19, 2015 MEN’S HOOPS RANKED IN THE TOP 25 MID-MAJOR POLL FOR FIRST TIME EVER
January 19, 2015 McKINNEY RECEIVES SCHOOL-RECORD 4TH BIG SKY PLAYER OF THE WEEK AWARD
January 17, 2015 MEN’S HOOPS TAKES OVER FIRST PLACE, BEATS EASTERN WASHINGTON 90-77
January 16, 2015 MEN'S HOOPS HOSTS EASTERN WASHINGTON ON SATURDAY FOR FIRST PLACE
January 13, 2015 MEN'S HOOPS BACK AT HOME THURSDAY VS. LEAGUE NEWCOMER IDAHO AT 7 PM
January 10, 2015 MEN’S BASKETBALL’S WINNING STREAK ENDS IN LOSS AT NORTHERN COLORADO
January 2, 2015 MEN'S HOOPS HOSTS SOUTHERN UTAH ON SATURDAY AT 7 P.M.
December 30, 2014 MEN'S HOOPS OPENS BIG SKY PLAY AT HOME THURSDAY VS. NORTHERN ARIZONA
December 29, 2014 GARRITY NAMED BIG SKY MEN’S BASKETBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK
December 27, 2014 GARRITY'S CAREER-HIGH 28 POINTS LEADS MEN'S HOOPS TO 74-49 ROAD WIN
December 24, 2014 MEN'S HOOPS PLAYS FINAL NON-LEAGUE GAME SATURDAY AT UTAH VALLEY
December 21, 2014 MEN’S BASKETBALL CAN’T FIND THE RANGE IN ROAD LOSS AT SEATTLE
December 20, 2014 MEN'S HOOPS TRAVELS TO SEATTLE FOR SUNDAY EVENING MATCHUP
December 15, 2014 McKINNEY RECEIVES THIRD CAREER BIG SKY PLAYER OF THE WEEK AWARD
December 14, 2014 BIG NIGHT FOR McKINNEY, BUT MEN’S HOOPS LOSES THRILLER TO PORTLAND
December 12, 2014 MEN'S BASKETBALL HOSTS PORTLAND ON SUNDAY AT 5 P.M.
December 11, 2014 MEN’S HOOPS REMAINS PERFECT AT HOME WITH A 73-59 WIN OVER CS FULLERTON
December 10, 2014 MEN'S BASKETBALL HOSTS CAL STATE FULLERTON THURSDAY NIGHT AT 7 PM
December 6, 2014 MEN’S HOOPS CONCLUDES ROAD TRIP WITH 74-62 LOSS AT UC IRVINE
December 5, 2014 MEN'S HOOPS TRAVELS TO UC IRVINE FOR SATURDAY EVENING GAME
December 3, 2014 MEN'S HOOPS LOOKS FOR 5TH STRAIGHT WIN THURSDAY AT ABILENE CHRISTIAN
December 1, 2014 HORNSBY SCORES A CAREER-HIGH 20 AS MEN’S HOOPS WINS FOURTH STRAIGHT
November 30, 2014 MEN'S HOOPS HOSTS UTAH VALLEY ON MONDAY; GARRITY NEARS MILESTONE
November 25, 2014 MEN’S HOOPS IMPROVES TO 3-1 WITH 97-63 VICTORY OVER BRISTOL
November 24, 2014 MEN'S HOOPS RESUMES HOMESTAND TUESDAY NIGHT VS. BRISTOL
November 19, 2014 MEN’S BASKETBALL POSTS A 74-42 VICTORY OVER SIMPSON IN HOME OPENER
November 18, 2014 SACRAMENTO STATE TO HOST 2017 NCAA MEN’S TOURNEY 1ST AND 2ND ROUNDS
November 17, 2014 MEN'S BASKETBALL TRAVELS TO UC RIVERSIDE FOR MONDAY EVENING GAME
November 17, 2014 McKINNEY LEADS MEN’S HOOPS TO FIRST-EVER ROAD WIN AT UC RIVERSIDE
November 14, 2014 MEN’S BASKETBALL FALLS IN SEASON OPENER AT #13 GONZAGA
November 12, 2014 MEN’S BASKETBALL SIGNS GUARD JEFF WU AND FORWARD JOSHUA PATTON
November 10, 2014 MEN'S BASKETBALL OPENS SEASON FRIDAY NIGHT AT #13 GONZAGA
October 23, 2014 MEN’S HOOPS PICKED FOURTH IN BIG SKY COACHES AND MEDIA POLLS
September 30, 2014 MEN’S HOOPS SEASON COMING FAST, FIRST OFFICIAL PRACTICE ON FRIDAY
September 5, 2014 MEN’S HOOPS POSTS HIGHEST TERM GRADE POINT AVERAGE IN SCHOOL HISTORY
August 15, 2014 MEN’S BASKETBALL RELEASES ITS 2014-15 SCHEDULE