JOHN SMITH FIELD -
Sacramento State’s John Smith Field opened in 1953, was renovated in 2002 and most recently renamed in honor of former skipper John Smith, who coached the program for 32 seasons. Over that span of 50-plus years, home plate has never moved.
The renovation in 2002 included permanent stadium seating with 150 VIP chairbacks and 1,050 general admission seats for a total capacity of 1,200. The field was also renovated with new sunken dugouts, new sod was laid between home plate and the backstop, and padding was added along the backstop and dugout areas. The dimensions of the field are 333 feet to left and right field and 400 feet to center field.
Prior to the 2005 season, a new
Barco Media LED scoreboard was installed in left center field. The
Pepsi sponsored scoreboard includes a two-line graphic display that
shows game lineups.
After retiring in 2010, Hornet Field was renamed John Smith Field for Sacramento State's long-time former head coach.
Current head coach Reggie Christiansen, a tireless fundraiser for the program, made improvements to the batting cages, completely remodeled the player clubhouse and renovated the dugout prior to the 2011 season. He also had the windscreen beyond the outfield fence extend through the right field foul pole. The outfield fence itself was redone before the start of the 2011 season as well.
John Smith Field was the site of the NCAA Division II West Regionals in 1986 and 1988. The Hornet clubhouse was redesigned in 2007 and includes a player lounge, locker room and coaches offices. The infield apron was rebuilt in 2007 and a rubberized surface was added around home plate.
Fans love to tailgate in the parking structure beyond the center field fence.
The renovated clubhouse features leather couches, large new lockers, a fridge and a 60-inch TV.
The Sacramento State logo highlights the center of the upgraded clubhouse.